how to revert back to an old user profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to revert back to an old user profile

After re installing the OS on the Server the Workstations Could log Because they have lost the correct SID. So I removed the workstations from the domain and placed them into a workgroup and then re-joined them to the domain at which point they acquired new sids and can now log in. The problem now is that I have lost the user profiles that in use before the crash. is there any way in which I can revert back to them. The workstations use Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows XP Home SP2 and the server is A Windows 2003 sbs.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: how to revert back to an old user profile

You can regain things like favourites etc by copying the files to the new user's profile... but a lot of stuff in the registry based section of the profile is SID based and will therefore get confused. I would advise giving them new profiles and having them set their preferences manually.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hey, afrikaforever! I need your help in this, dude. There are some things in your question that I need badly a lightening:
      - first, the past: you had a problem with your domain and you installed the DC from scratch? It was to expect that you cannot login from workstations anymore.
      - now, the present: you have two computers in the domain. Are you sure one of them is XP Home? Because Microsoft states very clear that XP Home cannot be added to a domain. You have the same problem on both computers, I presume, don't you? How many such user/profiles are we talking about?
      - finally, the future: please try to clarify a bit the picture, and give us some more details. As a matter of fact, if the old profiles show in the profiles' list, the hope is not lost: you can use the COPY option, to copy the old profile over a new one.

But first, please answer the question, so we'll be able to know how to help you further.
      Thank you in advance.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

I have 15 Workstations, 12 of Which are XP Pro and 3 are XP Home. No I only have the problem on the XP Pro Computers as the XP Home ones don't actually log on to the domain but are in workgroup wit the same name as the Domain. The problem is with the 13 Users of the Xp Pro workstations.

Yes the profiles show in the profile list and I will try the copy option as suggested and will revert.

Regards

Comment

The actions you need to take:
          - login to the station with the new user, let's say user1;
          - logout and login again with an administrator. You should have under C:\Documents and Settings two folders: user1 and user1.[newdomain]. The later is the new profile;
          - using the User Profiles' Settings (System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings) copy the old profile to the new profile's folder.

You'll have to do this on every station, for every user. So, if you have more than one user per station, create all the new profiles and afterward copy the old to the new.
          Hope this info will help.
          God luck and keep us posed.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            - using the User Profiles' Settings (System Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles -> Settings) copy the old profile to the new profile's folder.
            Sorinso, have you ever done what you described? Copying the user profile is for prepping it to be used in the "Profile Path" of a user's properties. There needs to be several more steps to get this to work. Basically you'll need to copy the profiles to a location (like a file share) and then setup roaming profiles for the users, pointing each user to their respective profile.

Check out this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314478
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
              Sorinso, have you ever done what you described?
              Hi, Jeremy.
              Yes, a lot of times, actually. I used this to build the initial profiles for my 100 users in the TS farm. At that point, I had only one server. Only later I switched to roaming profiles. And other few times when other things went wrong.
              If you go through my posts, you will see that whenever I am not certain of something or just throw thoughts in the air, I care to say that. If there are things I did not check, I mention that.
              I read the article you mentioned. It does say, indeed, that this is the method to create initial profiles for roaming profiles. However, it does not say that this method cannot be used for something else.
              From the article:
              Copy a User Profile
              To copy an existing user profile to another user's account, follow these steps:
              1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu that appears.
              2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under User Profiles.
              3. In the Profiles stored on this computer list, click the profile that you want to copy.
              4. Click Copy To.
              5. In the Copy To dialog box, do one of the following:
              In the Copy profile to box, type the Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path to the target user's profile folder. For example type the following:
              \\ServerName\ShareName\UsersProfileDirectory
              -or-

Click Browse, and then navigate to the user profile folder that you want to copy the profile to. Click OK.
              If you choose to do this on a local folder, it will work.

I want to assure you that if it will be proved that I am wrong, I will apologize for misleading afrikaforever, you and all the good people around.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Very good.
                Didn't mean to come off as an attack, just a question since I've never done it that way myself.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi

Thanks Sorinso. It worked like a charm and now all the users are happy.

Thanks to everybody for the endevour

Comment

Working...
                  X