Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No dialing sound from modem after Win2K install[was]:Win 2000 Professional Annoyances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dialing sound from modem after Win2K install[was]:Win 2000 Professional Annoyances

Greetings All !

I recently dumped Windows 95 and installed Windows 2000 Professional.

The URLs typed and entered into the Address Bar Drop-Down-List disappear

on reboot leaving the HomePage- Google.

The other thing is that with Win 95 I could hear my modem attempting to

make contact with the other remote modem [ dial-up] .With 2000 there is

silence. Is there something that I failed to 'check' in both instances or is that the

way 2000 operates ? Thanks for any reply .

Specs :

Sony PCV 150
    HD....... 4.3 gig
    Ram... ...... 64 Meg
    IE ...... 5.5
    Antivirus...........Avast
    Antispyware.... Spybot

Re: Win 2000 Professional Annoyances

Have you turned the volume up on your modem??

Are the correct drivers installed for your modem??

Comment

Re: No dialing sound from modem after Win2K install

Is the modem speaker enabled?
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: No dialing sound from modem

Thanks for the replies JeremyW and Wullieb1.

As far as I am aware the modem uses the Piezo electric speaker of the motherboard.....it's made by Lucent and is pre V90.

The General Tab of the Modem Properties Window show that speaker volume
        is set at position 3 to the right .....there are 4 positions.

Volume control on monitor is set at 60%

There is no box for enabling of modem...not even in the Device manager ;
        however there is a ticked box[/] Wait for dial tone before dialling.

Never crosssed my mind to update drivers for this ancient modem in the new
        install since the modem works but without hearing the 'handshake'.

One thought that has just struck me is that with Win 95 there were bootup and shut down "Microsoft Sounds"..none of these is present with Win 2000 .

Comment

Re: No dialing sound from modem after Win2K install

Ok.

Open Device Manager, Right Click My Computer and select Manage. From here you can then select Device Manager.

You will see all the devices that are installed on your system. Are there any with a yellow ? (Question Mark)??

Are the drivers installed for your sound card??

Comment

Re: No dialing sound from modem

wullieb1..G'day !

In Device Manager ,seen the same way in 9x as in 2000 there is one yellow question mark opposite OTHER DEVICES. This when expanded yields PARALLEL
            DEVICE . In the Parallel Device Properties Window..general Tab..the device type is shown as OTHER DEVICES. Like I said the modem works and with an increased
            connection rate of 52.0 Kbps as against 21.5 under Win 95. The problem is there is no sound.

Your Ques ...Are the drivers installed for your sound card?? You've got me thinking that the possibility exists that one has got to install legacy drivers for certain peripherals once the OS is updated....is that so ?

Let me share with you where I am coming from : I am a 65 year ole fart that decided that I shall not die without being computer literate. To that end I grabbed an old mobo with Win 95 ..bought a couple of Win 95 books and was self taught. A daughter intruduced me to the Net and a new world opened. By nature ,it wasn't long before I went into the belly of the 'beast' and became proficient in stripping the system and repairing the mobos in the family circle. I have been left in the cold on the software side of things as I was more bent on fiddling with hardware.This dislike or disinclination to software precluded my taking the A+, the core part of which I can easily pass. Sooooooo those are my limitations. Do have a wonderful day.

Comment

Working...
            X