Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangs on Closing network connection

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out. I'm unable to shut down my laptop. It's HP branded and runs on XP Pro.

What happens is that it sits or seems to be stuck on the process of "closing network connection" when trying to shut it down. It takes about 25 minutes to shut down because of this "closing network connection". I wonder if anyone might be able to tell me what may be the cause and how to fix this?

Thank you in advance

Re: Hangs on Closing network connection

Hi, associates.
    Few more details will be nice:
    - are you in an AD environment? If so, do you use roaming profile and/or offline files?
    - are you using Novell?
    - does your laptop have any mapped drives?
    - what model is your laptop? Are all your drivers up-to-date?
    - is there something odd in the Event Viewer? Besides that, can you browse OK?

Please give us some more background details.
    Thank you.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi Sorinso,

Thank you for your reply.

Sure, here is the info you need to know
      1. Yes, I log in as administrator, and No, i don't use roaming profiles and offline files
      2. No, i run it on windows XP Pro
      3. Yes, it has mapped drive but it's not done recently. It didn't have any problem before even after creating the mapped drive for this matter. But who knows, it may be it. (I'm gonna disconnect it and see how it goes).
      4. It's HP NX7400 laptop and i believe they should all be updated.
      5. I can browse everything without any hassles.

I wonder if you may know what kind of activities happening in the closing network connection during shutdown process.

Thank you in advance

Comment

The problems I encountered so far with this were related to the computer not being able to release network resources properly.
        This laptop has Ethernet, wireless and modem. It might be that one of them is not releasing the resources.
        Try to leave the Ethernet and disable the other two and see what happens.
        I don't have a list of processes that occur during the closing of the network connections, but I'll look for one.
        You didn't say anything about Event Viewer.
        Also, take a look at this article, see if something is rellevant.
        And if nothing works, see the attached method
        Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:08.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X