Can not Receive net send console message but can send

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not Receive net send console message but can send

Hi, I have this problem in on eof our user in our domain network.
    We have windows 2003 server as DC/AD and exchange server 2003.
    The user can browse the internet and use the MS Outlook with no problem.

He can send console message using net send, but none of us can send a message to this user. I have checked in the DNS, and the computer names and its IP address is correct. I have tried to turn off his firewall and had confirm there is no other 3rd party firewall installed in that PC.

Also, I can not even ping that PC, using that PC, it can ping to other hosts.
    Thanks, I really need your help badly.

Re: Can not Receive net send console message but can send

Is the Messenger service running on the target computer?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it is running, PC1 and PC2 both of the messenger service is running. PC1 can send console message to PC2. While PC2 can send message to it self only but can not send message to PC1. PC2 firewall is off already.
      I also set to automatic other services such as: Terminal services, Remote access Auto Connection Mgr, RPC, RPC locator, Workstation. Pls Help.....

My boss is so dissapointed with me, becaue PC2 that I'm pertaining to is his machine.
      Last edited by iii_carlos; 29th January 2007, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Is the Messenger service running on the target computer?
        Yes, It is running, my boss is dissapointed about this. This morning, still I could not resolve the problem

Comment

So from PC1, you can not ping PC2 by name? Can you ping it by IP address? Can you "net send" from PC1 to PC2's ip address?
          net send 192.168.1.123 hello

EDIT: Imagining the issue is name resolution of some kind, when you ping PC2 from PC1 what do you get? An incorrect IP address or a "... could not find host ..."? What happens if you try to ping using the fully qualified name?
          ping PC2.yourdomain.local
          Last edited by rvalstar; 29th January 2007, 09:37. Reason: More questions
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

In the net send command, you are sending to username or to machine? And what error message do you receive?
            When you ping, you ping to the machine name or IP address?
            Last edited by sorinso; 29th January 2007, 09:34. Reason: Ooops, didn't see Rick's reply. Sorry.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

I found a hint, when both machine (PC1 and PC2)'s firewall is off, they can send console messages with no problem. They can ping to each other with their ip addresses and computer names.

However, when both firewalls is turned on, PC1 can send console msgs to PC2 but PC2 can not reply to it.... (PC2 can not ping PC1 anymore) ...it gives me request time out

I tried to add an exception in the windows firewall UDP 137 & TCP 139 (for Netbios name service & NetBios Session service respectively) but wont allow me to do so.

Is there a way to declare an exception in firewall for Messanging services? However, it did not mention in msdn.microsoft that we need to turn off the firewall.

*This firewall is the Windows Firewall when upgraded to WinXP SP2.

Pls. Help.... thanks

Comment

You have "File and Printer Sharing" checked as a Firewall Exception on both boxes?
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you very much, All of you save my day. thank you rvalstar, sorinso & ossian.

Its working properly now. The work around is, you need to except from windows firewall File and Printer sharing, which is needed to resolve IP addresses and computer names for NetBios service/session.

Thank you guys.

Comment

Glad it worked out.
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Thinking loud: isn't this a too greater whole, only to allow net send? After all, everyone can start opening shared folders...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                        Thinking loud: isn't this a too greater whole, only to allow net send? After all, everyone can start opening shared folders...
                        You can remove "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" from the Network Connection.
                        Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X