Cannot disconnect mapped drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot disconnect mapped drive

I can't disconnect some drives that are mapped on a WinXP Pro workstation. I wanted to remove the drive mapping names as they were badly outdated and so deleted the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\ComputerDescriptions

where the entries were found and then rebooted.

Now the connections show up as "Disconnected Network Drive" but all still work. However, I can't disconnect any of them and the "Disconnected Network Drive" will not update to the name of the machine/share even when I go into the share and use it.

Really, this is a test machine because I wanted to apply a reg via policyto clear out the strings on logon/logoff so that these were fixed all over the company. I don't understand why this thing is misbehaving though, the key get's recreated and has the name of one machine, but not the others...

Any ideas how I can fix this?

Re: Cannot disconnect mapped drive

I found references in the following locations:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\?] where ? is the drive letter.

And what's wrong with NET USE ?: /D
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I already tried net use ?: /d but it doesn't work. It says "The network connection could not be found." but it appears in explorer and I can use it and go into the share.

In the registry, the entry for the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network\?] shows only the i, x, and z drives which I can disconnect myself and are displaying the correct name, so are working properly.

It's the other drives which are the problem. I can't net use something over them because it says they are in use and I can't net use /d them because it says it can't find the connection...

Comment

So you are showing other drive letters as being used but they're not in this registry key?

You don't have SUBST'd drives or USB drives mounted here, do you?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Have you tried Tools -> Disconnect Network Drive from Network Neighborhood? Do the drives show there (the ones you don't want)?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

rvalstar: I already looked for subst but there are none, and there are no usb devices other than the keyboard and mouse plugged into the machine.

sorinso: I tried this suggestion but it says "You have no network drives to disconnect."

Comment

Not even those :
              the i, x, and z drives which I can disconnect myself and are displaying the correct name, so are working properly
              ?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

indeed, even when I have selected x: for example and then go to disconnect network drives I get the same result.

I went out into the admin account and now all the drives are "Disconnected Network Drive" and I can't seem to do anything with them no matter how many times I reboot.

Comment

huh? i lost you..
                  maybe you should post a screenshot to clarify.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

ok here you go.

I can't disconnect any of those drives with either net use or explorer's "Disconnect" from the right click on any drive.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What does the output from "NET USE" look like from a CMD box?
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

> net use
                        New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

But I can click on each drive and it takes me inside the share of the machines the drives were originally mapped to and I can browse around...

Comment

Are you running Symantec AV? I googled this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...twork+drive%22

And found this (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._21496613.html

Also, just to be safe, do look at this and make sure there aren't any removable drives holding those letters. Also an intreresting mention about "offline files" -- could it be???:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297694/en-us
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

symantec AV sucks big time. We have it on other machines but not on this one. I went through those links but no luck yet. There are no other drives, usb, removable or anything else that could interfere in that way.

In disk management, the drive letters used by the mapped drives are unavailable for assigning to the cdrom for example, so they are definitely used by the mapped drives

I wish I could find where the heck in the registry windows is keeping this cr**. I wish windows was more transparent like linux so I could fix this damn thing.

Comment

And per the MS link in my earlier post, you weren't doing the following on those drives when they were mapped:

use Offline Files and specify items to be synchronized when you log on.
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X