Remote file execution

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote file execution

I recently replaced a windows 2000 pro box with a new windows xp pro workstation. This company uses a specialized application for print costing and tracking. The lady in question is responsible to running an executable each day that dumps clients that have been added to a custom database to a csv file that is then imported into the print management program.

The app itself is located on a shared network drive and there is a shortcut on her desktop to run the file. Under windows 2000, when she ran the file, a progress box would display and the export was performed. Since putting the XP box in, the shortcut no longer works. I have tried pointing the shortcut to both the shared file executable as well as the UNC path with no luck. If one logs onto the server, the executable file runs as expected.

I have had this problem before when SP2 for XP was released. It's a security mechanism to is disallowing the execution of programs that are not located locally. Anyway, does anyone know how to work around/disable this funtion?

Thanks.

Re: Remote file execution

And you're sure it's not a permissions issue?

How about turning off the Windows Firewall. Does it work then?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Good points but no; the windows firewall is disabled on all desktops. As well, the program is located in a public share in which all domain users have full control for both share and file/folder permissions.

It's specific to windows XP security but I can't pin it down. It's microsoft protecting us from ourselves.

Comment

If one logs onto the server, the executable file runs as expected
        Your problem might be related to the context in which the application is trying to run.
        Can you copy the application locally, and run it from there?
        What local groups is the lady's account part of?
        Does she has permissions to run things?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

The user is a local administrator on her workstation and her domain account is strictly a member of the domain users account.

The program is called ezilaw, designed for law offices. The program is essentially a database of case notes, billing, etc that tracks all items related to a case. The program is hosted on the file server with a locally installed program on each desktop that references the database. The file we are not able to run resides only on the server and we were using a shortcut to execute it located on the workstation's desktop.

This file will run remotely on a windows 2000 computer but not an XP computer. Same file, same shortcut, same user, different operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy.markel
            I have had this problem before when SP2 for XP was released. It's a security mechanism to is disallowing the execution of programs that are not located locally.
            "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security"
            Test with the UNC path added to the Local Intranet zone in IE-options on the WinXP
            -> http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2...5.html#1527932

\Rem
            Last edited by Rems; 25th January 2007, 23:48.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks for the info, Rems, that sounds familiar. I'm going to try that next time I'm at the customer's site. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                Hi, Rem.
                I can hardly believe this will help. Internet Explorer Enhanced Security is a product available on Windows Server 2003. Although OP didn't mentioned what OS is running on the server, the workstation is running XP. AFAIK, IEES is not available for XP. So why it would be the case?
                Jeremy, I would try to run the application with Filemon on. This way you will be able to see what file it tries to access and it cannot.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

sorinso you are right the linked articals are about windows 2003 or terminal service clients. That means that the explanation given in these articals are not explain this case.!

However a kind the same solution may work also on Windows XP computers that are part of a network. I have seen it as a solution for similar problems.
                  But in that case the UNC's must be added to the Trusted zone (do not add the unc to the Local Intranet zone).

Jeremy is there an error message when you open the link to that application? And have you checked the eventlogs if there is more infomation?
                  And yes, use 'Filemon' or 'Process Monitor'

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

The only thing I can tell is that I run lots of programs this way (meaning, a shortcut to an EXE sitting on a shared folder). And never had any problem. But in our profession, "never say never"...
                    The sentence
                    If one logs onto the server, the executable file runs as expected
                    is the one that intrigues me... Why would that happen?
                    Jeremy, can you give some details about the server? Is it 2000? 2003? If it's 2003, is it configured for the File and Print Server role?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Jeremy (not me but you ), see if this thread helps http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=3871
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If the OP was getting warning dialogs, then that would be the ticket. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

BTW, I have found you need only add the server name to Trusted Sites. No need for \\server or \\server\share
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I have not run process monitor or filemon and there are no errors in the event logs. I have had task manager open and seen the process "cldump.exe" start and then immediately terminate when we tried to run it.

sorinso, as rems is pointing out, there is no enhanced internet security in windows xp like the features in windows 2003 but there are improved safeguards to protect against remote execution of files in some cases. For example, after service pack 2 was released there was also an issue with viewing remote chm (help) files. The file would open but not display any content. Since then, MS has issued a fix for that but I still occasionally run into these sorts of things.

The server in question here is a Windows 2003 SBS premium box w/sp1. It is not the R2 release but is configured for file/print sharing as well as other typical SBS roles. As well, there are other programs installed on clients are executed over the network. In this case, the file I'm trying to run is not actually installed on a client; it's related to a program in use by each computer in the office, but it's a "utility" that requires no installation.

The key thing is that this file can be run over the network from a windows 2000 computer, not XP. I will have an answer today at to whether adding the server to trusted sites in IE works.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                            If the OP was getting warning dialogs, then that would be the ticket. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

BTW, I have found you need only add the server name to Trusted Sites. No need for \\server or \\server\share
                            Seemingly... but it can be set to just block and not prompt. Also if the program uses another security principal then you would also get no prompt. But of course it may be something else, it just sounded like similar scenarios that this setting solved.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                              Seemingly... but it can be set to just block and not prompt. Also if the program uses another security principal then you would also get no prompt. But of course it may be something else, it just sounded like similar scenarios that this setting solved.
                              You're right and it couldn't hurt.

jeremy.markel:

I would throw the server name into the workstation's Trusted Sites list without \\ and without the share name -- uncheck the Require HTTPS box. Then I'd jack down Trusted Sites Security to Low.

I prefer this to using the Intranet zone because Intranet has some other options I don't want to alter and, quite frankly, I don't use Trusted Sites for its intended purpose as I don't believe I should ever have to put an Internet site into a relaxed zone. So Trusted Sites is free for me to use.

I sure hope something w/ Internet Security zones works out.
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X