Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small LAN problem: no one can access me

hi, i setup a LAN party with a few frens
    we have setup the network correctly, with corresponding IPs and workgroup and all

all of us can see each other's computer correctly, but there's one problem...
    i can access their Shared stuffs but they can't do the same to mine (they can access each other's stuff perfectly fine)

whenever they clicked on my icon in their Network Places, they'll get some error message saying no permission or not allowed (i can't remember)

i suspect that i didn't set the Shared properties correctly bcos i'm using NTFS while the rest are using FAT32 (i must've missed out something)
    i'm at a lost, any ideas guys?

thx,
    gildan2020

Re: small LAN problem: no one can access me

Originally posted by gildan2020
    hi, i setup a LAN party with a few frens
    we have setup the network correctly, with corresponding IPs and workgroup and all

all of us can see each other's computer correctly, but there's one problem...
    i can access their Shared stuffs but they can't do the same to mine (they can access each other's stuff perfectly fine)

whenever they clicked on my icon in their Network Places, they'll get some error message saying no permission or not allowed (i can't remember)

i suspect that i didn't set the Shared properties correctly bcos i'm using NTFS while the rest are using FAT32 (i must've missed out something)
    i'm at a lost, any ideas guys?

thx,
    gildan2020
    When using FAT32 your filesystem doesn't support the ability to limit sharing the way you can with NTFS. If you're using WinXP you should be able to share your data in a similar fashion simply by enabling simple filesharing on the root of your hdd.

If you're using Win2k create an account for your friends to use, share the folder and then give the account you created read permission to the folder. When they attempt to access the share they should be prompted to enter a username/password - have them use the account you've previously made and it should work.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

oh, i forgot to mentioned that all of us are using winxp pro & home.
      i will only be able to get back to u once i test that out (which may take a long while), thx anyway

btw, when they try to click on a computer icon (with my computer name) in network places, they get same message as well
      does this have to do with the simple file sharing settings or something else?

gildan2020

Comment

Originally posted by gildan2020
        btw, when they try to click on a computer icon (with my computer name) in network places, they get same message as well
        does this have to do with the simple file sharing settings or something else?
        Well it was possibly because you didn't have anything shared. Once you share the drive or a folder it won't give them the message.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

hi, sorry for replying this late

i do have something to share, i just didn't use simple file sharing. Instead i explicitly right-click my folders and select share.
          also, those folders are found in my network places, so they are reli shared.

right now, i suspect that it is bcos i haven't turn on "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"

i'm still trying to verify this claim but unfortunately it's impossible to test without any computers beside me.

gildan2020

Comment

Working...
          X