No announcement yet.

permissions for files within folders???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permissions for files within folders???

hi, i'm using winxp pro and the hard disk is NTFS-formatted
    i realise that the folder permission does not affect anything within it.

suppose say i wanna allow this folder to be fully controlled by all users,
    but somehow once i set that, i realised that one of the files (or many) inside is still restricted to only certain users

i know i can select all files then change the properties right away, but i've too many folders and files to do that

is there a shorter way?

thx,
    gildan2020

rightclick folder ---> security --> advanced --> replace permission entries on all child objects......
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

hmm...it seems to work partially
      i have observed one peculiar behaviour of this feature

suppose say if one user, A, has created a folder inside folder MAIN using his account
      in the beginning, his folder's permission would definitely have his name in it

when another user (let's call him B, with administrative powers) performs the permission exercise on MAIN, as mentioned by u, it would only work on folders created by B. the folder created by A was unaffected, his name is still there!

is there a workaround to this?

gildan2020

Comment

First take ownership recursively and after that do the permissions replace.

The point is that you can not change permissions of the object if you do not have full control over it or/and are not the owner. Being the administrator lets you take ownership of the objects. After you own the object, you can alter it's permissions.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by Guy (aka Antid0t)
          First take ownership recursively and after that do the permissions replace.

The point is that you can not change permissions of the object if you do not have full control over it or/and are not the owner. Being the administrator lets you take ownership of the objects. After you own the object, you can alter it's permissions.
          wow, that's wat i've been looking for
          thx a lot

gildan2020

Comment

Working...
          X