Permissions In XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permissions In XP

Iím trying to setup a fileserver in a domain environment. Hereís the following info:
    PC Name: fileserver1
    Firewall: disabled
    CPU: 3.0 GHz
    Memory: 1GB

Permissions in XP seems to follow the shared permissions only regardless of what the NTFS permissions is set.

Folder Name: General-Drive (\\fileserver1\General-Drive)
    Shared Level: Domain Admins (Full Permissions), Everyone (Full Permissions)
    NTFS Level: Domain Admins (Full Permissions), Everyone (Full Permissions)

SubFolder Name: Accounting (\\fileserver1\General-Drive\Accounting)
    NTFS Level: Domain Admins (Full Permissions), Everyone (Read Only)

SubFolder Name: Common (\\fileserver1\General-Drive\Common)

SubFolder Name: Computer Tools (\\fileserver1\General-Drive\Computer Tools)

SubFolder Name: Help Files (\\fileserver1\General-Drive\Help Files)

When I test the permission set Everyone has Full Control in spite of what the NTFS permission is set at.

However, when I test this on a Windows 2000 machine, it works flawlessly. I shared the folder by giving everyone full control at the share level. Then I use the controlling permissions at the NTFS level by giving the Accounting folder read only.

Need assistance in this.
    Thanks

Re: Permissions In XP

You have "Simple File Sharing" turned on?

Windows Explorer\Tools\Folder Options\View\Advanced settings -- scroll to the bottom.

Turn it off and see if that fixes the problem.

BTW -- Nice post. Plenty of info and upfront debugging on your part.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 24th January 2007, 17:02. Reason: BTW...
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Unfortunately, the "Simple File Sharing" was already disabled. I must be missing something in XP.
      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Permissions In XP - I GOT IT!!

I GOT IT!!!

I figured out the problem. Of course it was a permissions issue.

Folder Name: C:\General-Drive (\\fileserver\General-Drive)
        I neglected to say I had the following in the NTFS Level:
        FILESERVER1\Administrators (Full Control), SYSTEM (Full Control), FILESERVER1\Users (Read & Execute, Special)

I clicked on the Advance button, I unchecked “Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child object. Include these with entries defined here.”

I then removed FILESERVER1\Users (Read & Execute, Special) at the NTFS Level in all folders and subfolders.

IT WORKED!!!

This was completely my fault for not completely disclosing all the info. A complete error on my part, and for that… I apologize (in the UK apologise).
        Last edited by joopdog; 24th January 2007, 19:57.

Comment

It happens to the best of us. Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm sure it will help someone down the road.
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
          X