Win XP VPN error 732 Comps cant agree on PPP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP VPN error 732 Comps cant agree on PPP

I have a M0n0wall VPN server which works great for most everyone. There is one computer however, that was connecting to it and according to the user just stopped connecting.

It is running Win XP service pack 2.
    Using the native XP VPN client.
    Connection error 732: the computers can't agree on PPP control Protocols.

The problem doesn't seem to be with the user's router or DSL as I can connect another computer.

My other clients don't seem to be having any problems.

Thanks for any help,

Herman

Re: Win XP VPN error 732 Comps cant agree on PPP

Event logs should tell you why the protocols wont agree, sounds like you need to check your VPN connection settings and make ammendments? Check the events and get back to us Oh and query your user to death, new app installs, kids playing on the computer, windows updates, stuff like that.

Cheers

Comment

I couldn't find anything in the Event logs. The user is an older person, a Doctor, who has no small children. He says he disconnected and left. A few hours later he tried to reconnect and got the error. I deleted the connection and recreated it to no avail.

I thought maybe someone else might have run into this problem and could give me a quick answer.

On previous versions of Windows I would have uninstalled the TCP/IP protocol and reinstalled it....Can't do that with Win XP as it is considered a core component of the operating system.

Comment

Just to clarify your first post a little, have you been on site with your own laptop to ensure that there are no issues with the router/firewalls on his side? Might help if you can get snapshots of the VPN settings of his computer and a working computer, put them side by side and look for any minor differences. The security and Networking tabs are critical here.

I had similar issues with an older user and it turned out to be a setting on the Options tab, "Include Windows logon domain" was ticked preventing it from working, my VPN device was Watchguard firewall however.

Comment

Yes, I did make the connection with another computer sitting on the same desk, with the same router and everything.

The good Doctor came by this morning. It seems that the VPN miraculously started working again last night.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X