Windows showing wrong CPU speed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows showing wrong CPU speed?

I'm trying to figure out what my notebook is doing in terms of CPU speed. When I go to System Properties, I see the following:

This seems to be telling me that my notebook is running at 1.2GHz.
    Then I run CPUZ and I see the following:

This seems to be telling me that my notebook is running at 1.99GHz.

So which is right? It's a DELL Inspiron 8500.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Windows showing wrong CPU speed?

I'm confused. Both pictures clearly say the same - pic one says "2.00 GHz" and pic 2 says "1.99GHz". I don't see 1.2GHz anywhere at all.

Wanna draw a ring round it for us?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

If it's a mobile computer and has a, IIRC, Centrino or Pentium M then depending on CPU load and power state the processor speed could change. I think heat will also affect it.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

In the Windows dialog, the last line shows the actual running speed. Here it shows 179MHz. In the CPUz dialog, the Core Speed textbox in the Clocks frame shows 1196.5MHz.

When I plug and unplug the external power supply, these two values change respectively. If I choose a different power scheme, they both change.

Note that my notebook is set to the "Maximum Performance (QuickSet)" setting which is controlled by the DELL software. I even tried the "Always On" power scheme but same thing.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Some laptops will lower their clock speed when not under load to save the battery, this could be what you're seeing. Does running the test again give you exactly the same results? If so, try running CPU-Z when your computer is doing something intensive such as installing/removing an app.

Comment

This is by design an all newer Intel laptops that i have ever used.

Its called Intel SpeedStep technology.

From memory you will need to load a driver to change the behaviour of this and turn it off in the BIOS.

Comment

To demonstrate things are working correctly, load CPU-Z and Task Manager ("Performance" tab).

Then do some CPU intensive operations (spawn off a couple of Winzips of large directories or ???) and watch the CPU speed in CPU-Z. Should get to rated clock speed pretty quickly.

Hopefully this will convince you that you get the advertised speed as required.

I'd leave SpeedStep enabled. It will save your battery and lower the heat produced.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I've just zipped 800MB of files and both Windows System Properties and CPUz are showing the same as the screenshots above.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

And CPU Usage was up there near 100% in Task Manager Performance?

Odd.

Is the laptop rated at 2 GHz or 1.2 GHz? I saw a major branded desktop recently w/ a 3.2 GHz chip clocked down to 2.8 GHz so lower speed memory could be utilized.

Same brand as your laptop it appears.
                  Last edited by rvalstar; 25th January 2007, 15:36. Reason: FSB clocked down to 2.8 GHz, not 3.0
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                    Some laptops will lower their clock speed when not under load to save the battery, this could be what you're seeing. Does running the test again give you exactly the same results? If so, try running CPU-Z when your computer is doing something intensive such as installing/removing an app.
                    In addition to this, if the first screenshot was taken when it was running on batteries, even when you connect to mains power, the setting in Properties may not change. Reboot laptop and then check properties. Also, thank you for supplying us with your client's name, employer and XP key. Excellent.

Wullie, SpeedStep was introduced by Intel with the PIII 600 if memory serves me correct.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggless is correct, stepping technology was introduced in Pentium III, but it was only related to power source no more. It shows "stepping" if you run "msinfo32".

Will test my Dell latitude D 620, and update you what I have.

I have not turned on my portable for over than 2 complete months, too busy in other things right now. I really miss sitting behind my portable.
                      Best regards,
                      Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                        Wullie, SpeedStep was introduced by Intel with the PIII 600 if memory serves me correct.
                        I thought that but didn't want to make an ass of myself by saying otherwise.

Comment

Google on this and look at the top 3 hits:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=speedstep+xp

First is a tiny app that lets you control speedstep. The next 2 are FAQ and info links.
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            I thought that but didn't want to make an ass of myself by saying otherwise.
                            Oh thanks, let me make a (bigger) ass and post first.

Is this such a big deal about CPU speeds? Connect to mains power. Cold boot. Check speed. If it is as stated.......why bloody worry.

In the words of Shakespeare, much ado about nothing.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                              Oh thanks, let me make a (bigger) ass and post first.

Is this such a big deal about CPU speeds? Connect to mains power. Cold boot. Check speed. If it is as stated.......why bloody worry.

In the words of Shakespeare, much ado about nothing.
                              Except our OP thinks he/she should be getting 2.0 GHz and has yet to see anything above 1.2 GHz.
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X