Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

domain account can't acces local folders!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• domain account can't acces local folders!

hi,
    I just joined my xp to a windows 2003 domain,and I added my domain account to local administrators group , but when I logoned as domain account ,and tried to access C:\documents and setting\ "local user folder" . it get access denied.
    does anyone know why it happen? weired thing is I joined other windows xp computer to domain use the same method, it can access any folder on local computer using domain account.
    thanks!
    jimmy

Re: domain account can't acces local folders!

It's a permissions issue.

Method 1: (recommended)
    -Log on with the local user
    -Browse to C:\documents and setting\
    -Right-click localusername -> select Properties -> click on the Security tab -> add the Administrators group and give them Full Control

Method 2:
    -Browse to C:\documents and setting\
    -Right-click localusername -> select Properties -> click on the Security tab -> click Advanced -> select Owner tab -> make your account the owner and add permissions as appropriate.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you're in the local administrators group, you should be able to see the privs / take ownership.

The default privs for a user dir in "Documents and Settings" is full privs to Administrators, "the user", and SYSTEM. These are not inherited -- they are set when the user first logs on.

EDIT -- In case you want to compare privs / reset them to where they should be.
      Last edited by rvalstar; 22nd January 2007, 23:11. Reason: In case ...
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I did see the administrator group in the local account folder's access control list but the permissions for administrators are gray out, can't change.
        thanks for quick reply!

Comment

What permissions does the Administrators group have?
          Have you double checked if the Domain Admins group a member of the local Administrators group?
          What does Effective Permissions say?
          Does any user or group have Deny defined on any of the permissions?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I think you mean admin permissions are inherited.
            Block the inheritence issue, and try taking ownership.
            Best regards,
            Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by sanvour View Post
              I think you mean admin permissions are inherited.
              Block the inheritence issue, and try taking ownership.
              jimmyjang:

I believe Mostafa is correct.

In case you're not familiar with this, click "Advanced" in the "Security" tab and then uncheck "Inherit from parent..." Click the "Copy" button and you will now have permissions you can more easily edit.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I did all what you instructed, thanks a lot. but it still no let me access.
                I added domain administrator account, my domain user account to the acl list, with effective permisson 'full control" and in advance , I unchecked the inherit from parenct folder. still not let me access.
                I even add my domain account in owners with full control permission. still same.
                it just drive me crazy, it's my local profile folder, no deny permission on it, I just joined my xp pro from workgroup to domain, and tried to access my local user folder in c:\document and setting.
                jimmy

Comment

Can you post screen shots of the Security tab, Advanced security tab, and the Owner tab? Also, could you post a screen shot of the Access Denied error.

If you did what you say you did then you should be able to access the folder and files. That's why I'd like to take a look at those shots.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: domain account can't access local folders!

jimmy, while you were in Workgroup mode, have you by any chance shared folders on the machine and used the option Make my folders private?
                    I read an article talking about an issue with that, but don't recall where. If this is the case, I'll look for it.
                    BTW, you're looking for specific files? Because there's a workaround for it: login with the local user and copy the files you need out of the profile. It's not a solution, nor an explanation of what happened, but ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      jimmy, while you were in Workgroup mode, have you by any chance shared folders on the machine and used the option Make my folders private?
                      I read an article talking about an issue with that, but don't recall where. If this is the case, I'll look for it.
                      BTW, you're looking for specific files? Because there's a workaround for it: login with the local user and copy the files you need out of the profile. It's not a solution, nor an explanation of what happened, but ...
                      Interesting thought. I can't find it on my machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

My Documents is outside the profile so I picked Start Menu and Desktop. Neither have this option.

Sorin: I'm sure you'll know what I'm doing wrong.
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                        Interesting thought. I can't find it on my machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

My Documents is outside the profile so I picked Start Menu and Desktop. Neither have this option.

Sorin: I'm sure you'll know what I'm doing wrong.
                        Enable Simple File Sharing if you haven't. You should then be able to "Make my Folder Private". If you already have Simple File Sharing enabled then there's something screwy going on.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to answer ( I was with my other hobby, cooking ).
                          I see JeremyW answered already. And don't forget it works on stations in workgroups.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

I remembered when I created this local user account ,it asked me if I want to keep my document private, I choosed yes, so maybe that's why even I seted my domain account local administrators permission, still not able to access it, any solution?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjiang View Post
                              I remembered when I created this local user account ,it asked me if I want to keep my document private, I choosed yes, so maybe that's why even I seted my domain account local administrators permission, still not able to access it, any solution?
                              I will try to reconstruct the case on a virtual machine and see the outcome.
                              What about logging in with the local account and getting the files from there?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                              X