X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 IPs On The Same PC

I Have a PC with 2 NIC cards ADSL and a local network connection
    I want the ADSL to be the default (Downloading, browsing, chatting) while
    The local network just to connect to server and manage the entire local network (remote desktop, sharing ....)
    ADSL is IP 192.168.1.3 SM 255.255.255.0 GW 192.168.1.1
    Local Network IP 192.121.50.5 SM 255.255.255.0 GW 192.121.50.40
    Can anyone illustrate the steps needing to do so?

Re: 2 IPs On The Same PC

You will probably get an error message since you have have two (Different) gateways configured.

You should not require the gateway for the internal network card as there is no need for it to connet to IP's outside of your 192.121.50.0 /24 network.

try removing it and pinging addresses on your internal network and external addresses and see if they reply.

Let us know.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, amr.
      How do you connect to the ADSL? Dialer on your machine? Router?
      And what is your local network composed of? Is this a home network? An office network? How many stations? What OSes?
      Please provide us with some more detailed info, so we'll be able to provide you the right solution.
      10nx.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -
      «««««

Comment

Hi amr,

A generic solution will be enabling ICS (Internet Conenction Sharing) that way your local LAN users can access the internet.
        That way your local Network on the server will be 192.168.0.1, and your LAN network will be 192.168.*.*. DNS and DHCP will be configured automatically for you. That way all your LAN users will be able to access the internet.

Another solution will be configuring your local NIC GW to be your IP address of the ADSL connection. If they are on differnet subnets you need to enable Routing on your Windows server.

Update me if I can be with any more help.
        Best regards,
        Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank u all
          But as u can see from the title that this is a single PC the ADSL network is configured and running also the LAN is configured and running
          The problem is I want to be able to use the 2 NIC to benefit from both connections conditioned ADSL default connection LAN managing the network and servers resources .

So I think it is something to do with the route command but I don’t know how to form the syntax to make the ADSL the default and the LAN for Management

Comment

Wait a sec, I think it's getting to me, slowly...
            Let's see if I understand right the scenario here:
            amr, you have this station connected to your LAN. With IP address and so on.
            In the same time, you want to connect through your station's other NIC to ADSL. With its IP address and all (different from the first, of course). Like a bridge between two LANs.
            Is this correct? If so, I have no idea if it can be done or should be done.
            Let's see hat others have to say. But first, is this the case?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

Can you tell what is not working at the moment? You can ping to ip-adresses of computers on the LAN or to domains on the internet?
              Has the local network a DNS server?
              And is the external nic directly connected to the adsl modem?
              The other computers on the LAN they are not suppost to use that internet connection?

m80arm is wright, there can be only one default gateway on a computer.
              At the properties of the outsite-NIC *just* select the TCP/IP protocol, give it an static ipaddress, subnetmask and default gateway, no dns, no winsaddress and disable netbios over tcp/ip.
              At the properties of the insite-NIC (LAN), select Client for Microsoft networks and the TCP/IP protocol. Give it an static ipaddress, subnetmask, but no defaultgateway, provide an internal DNSaddress, choose the default netbios settings.

I think the solotion by sanvour is a good option for your situation. It is optional if you then share the internet connection with other computers in the workgroup or not.

\Rem

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
              and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Yeah a better explanation will really help me in that.

I think he wants to make the LAN (internal) accessible through the connection he got.
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes precisely

Comment

Then as I told you before, your simple solution will be ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
                    Best regards,
                    Mostafa Itani

Comment

I'm getting puzzled by the minute.
                      amr:
                      1) is your LAN connected to the Internet somehow? Or
                      2) do you plan to connect it through this computer with two NICs?

If 2) is correct, follow sanvour's advice.
                      BTW, who has the IP: 192.121.50.40 ? What kind of gateway? Towards what?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                      -
                      «««««

Comment

Yes Sorinso,

I think he needs to connect his LAN computers and enable them to access the internet via the ADSL connection that he has.
                        Best regards,
                        Mostafa Itani

Comment

I am afraid to think too much instead of getting the right picture from the OP. What if the other LAN is also connected to the real world? It will be such a mess...
                          So shouldn't we get some more exact info?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                          -
                          «««««

Comment

Originally posted by amr View Post
                            yes precisely
                            I'm sorry but this answer is not adequate for us to guide you. We can only guess at what you mean.

Please:
                            -Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
                            -Post a diagram of your network
                            -Tell us what is wrong (I didn't see any mention of any problem)
                            -Post any other pertinent information (so we don't have to keep asking you questions)

If you do the above you'll get a faster, more precise, and better suited answer to your problem.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

attached the diagram
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by amr; 22nd January 2007, 17:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X