Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Drive Issue

Hi Guys,

I have a client that is running Windows Xp Pro with a few mapped network drives to shared folders on the server etc...

Problem I am experiencing is when i insert a flash disk into the USB of the laptop. it picks up the flash disk and then installs it, but the drive does not become visible.

However when i right click my computer and click on manage and select disk managment i can pick the drive up there. I change the drive letter in disk managment and then i can view the drive under My Computer.

Is there a way of making the drive letter change permanent for flash disks?

Thanks in advance,

Brent

Re: Flash Drive Issue

Where do your mapped drives start? E: perhaps? Change drive letter of CD ROM to something else, X:, Y:, Z:

Better still, change the mapped drives if they start at E: to something further down the alphabet. Allow room to grow.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Where do your mapped drives start? E: perhaps? Change drive letter of CD ROM to something else, X:, Y:, Z:

Better still, change the mapped drives if they start at E: to something further down the alphabet. Allow room to grow.
      That appears to be the issue as I tested it here on my machine. I have a mapped H: drive and local drives mounted up through G:. Adding the flash drive mapped it to H: and while I see the Flash label for H: in Windows Explorer, I still see the contents from my original mapped H: drive.

Windows Mount Manager does not take network mapped or subst'd drive letters into account and assigns the next open drive letter from C: on up.

Now once you change the drive letter to something else that works, it will stick for subsequent uses until another drive is mapped to that letter. This too is Windows Mount Manager behavior -- it only remembers the latest Volume ID (Disk ID + Partition Offset) mapped to a given letter.

So, bwebber, the drive change should be "permanent" for the flash drive in question until you assign that drive letter to a different flash (or other) drive. That's just the way it is. As biggles77 suggests, you need to leave some room between the next available drive letter for Windows Mount Manager and the first network mapped, subst'd drive.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks Guys

I will change the Cd Drive to z or something rather. I have mapped network drives running off scripts during logon and we have applications using those drives to access the application files and data. So to change and re-install over 120 users is going to be very painful.

I will however bare this in mind when setting up a new client's site.

Champions!!

Bwebber

Comment

Just keep in mind, C drive that could be partitioned, a CD OR DVD ROM or both and then mapped drived. I try and start the mapped drives at I: (or H: at a squeeze) This leaves a couple of spare letters available for the L user who likes his USB Pen Drive and 200GB USB drive that he carries all his crap on.

Had a Principal who used 3 USB Pen drives at once. That made life interesting but she had logical reasons for it.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X