X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clients show up wrongly in Network Neighborhood

Hi,

Quick question, I couldn't find a solution to it:

1200 client computers, all XP SP2. Many computers have a description in their System Properties > Computer Name tab. Most computers do not have it. Network is Win2003 AD-based.

When looking at Network Neighborhood, most computers show up with their computer names. However any computer that has a description is shown like this:

Computername
    Computername
    (Description) Computername
    Computername
    Computername

This is simply annoying. Removing the description fixes it, but I would like to keep the description. It's worth knowing that most computers are image-based, made from one parent Ghost image (done properly, sysprep and all).

Anyone know why this happens and what can be done to correct it?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Clients show up wrongly in Network Neighborhood

This is probably way off track for what your looking for but i can select how my ADUC displays this by going to View then Add/Remove Columns then either moving them up or down as needed.

Sorry that was way off track.

After having a look under Network Neighbourhood there is an option that basically does the same thing.

Go to View, Choose Details and in here you can move the details as you please.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wullieb1; 17th January 2007, 17:29.

Comment

In Windows Explorer, you can specify Details (columns) to view (only Name and Comment are available). Comment is the "Description" but Name becomes "Description (ComputerName)" for a non-blank "Description". That is just annoying.

Only thing I can think of to fix this cute little Bob-like feature is to blank out the description or prefix it with ComputerName. The value is here:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
      "srvcomment"="Annoying Description"
      Tried putting "%COMPUTERNAME% - " at the front but it does not get resolved.

If I wanted a "cute" computer, I would have bought a Mac!!!

So unless someone out there has a better answer, you have 3 choices:

1) Live with it

2) Blank out the description by playing a .REG file setting "srvcomment"=""

3) Making a VBS to change "Annoying Description" to "%COMPUTERNAME% - Annoying Description" and living with Network Neighborhood showing "%COMPUTERNAME% - Annoying Description (%COMPUTERNAME%)"
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Um... http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330193

Apparently there was a patch for this included in sp2 but you need to modify the registry to activate it.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

To paraphrase Wayne and Garth:

"I'm not worthy"

We need a vino icon as this beer bit doesn't work for me
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            Um... http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330193

Apparently there was a patch for this included in sp2 but you need to modify the registry to activate it.
            That was it! Thanks man!
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

No problemo
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

So I merged the following REG file to both WXP and W2K3 and both worked without reboot or logoff (may have to exit and re-run Windows Explorer):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\Explorer]
                "ToggleCommentPosition"=dword:00000001
                Now the machine displays as %COMPUTERNAME% (Description).

I did not try it for HKCU as I want to make sure all users, not just domain users, see the fix.

NOTE to Designer of this Web Site Software: You have a bug. There is no space in "Current" yet it displays as "Curr ent"
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Nice! Thanks.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                  X