Help with moving Microsoft. net from XP system drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with moving Microsoft. net from XP system drive

When setting up the XP partition I did not allow enough space for the XP system drive. To make space now I have to move some files. Can I cut and paste the Microsoft net from the XP system drive to another one or does it have to be in the windows XP sytem drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks Stan

Re: Help with moving Microsoft. net from XP system drive

Because most programs add registry entries, wholesale cutting and pasting will cause problems.

Try a 3rd party tool like partition magic to increase the size of the partition, or investigate mount points to make another drive "pretend" to be a folder on a partition.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't exactly understand what do you mean by moving .net to another disk... Can you be more specific?
      Anyway, I understand your system partition is full, and you want to free some space. I suggest you check with Disktective where exactly went all the space you had. It should give you the info you need to decide what to move (or delete).
      Hope this helped.
      Keep us posted.

Aaaaah... Beaten by the best...
      Last edited by sorinso; 16th January 2007, 21:12. Reason: taking out frustration ....

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post

If you ain't fast, you're last
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Being fast isn't always a good thing. Besides, it's an honor to be second to a better professional
          Never mind, it's the late hour...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Flattery will get you everywhere!
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks for reply. You are right about wanting to free up space. It was my mistake in the first place. I read that XP needs something like 2 GB so I arranged a partition for 5GB thinking that it would be plenty. However I learnt the hard way that a lot of programs just add on to this drive which is why it is now full.

Stan

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              I don't exactly understand what do you mean by moving .net to another disk... Can you be more specific?
              Anyway, I understand your system partition is full, and you want to free some space. I suggest you check with Disktective where exactly went all the space you had. It should give you the info you need to decide what to move (or delete).
              Hope this helped.
              Keep us posted.

Comment

So by "Microsoft net" do you mean "Visual Studio 200x .NET" or ???

Why not do an uninstall / reinstall and split off the large bits to another drive as desired?

Disk is cheap. Make that boot drive 10 - 20 GB minimum for servers and 20 - 40 GB for workstations.

Go with the higher value if possible. I tried to standardize on 20 GB a few years back (to make Ghosting easier) but my heavy DEV machines are now down to 10% free and I'm offloading page files, MSDN help and other junk to the "Data" drive.

I'd go w/ the entire disk but I Ghost the system drives and I don't need to include all that source code / data / junk in there.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Just to let you know I followed your suggestion and used the partition magic. It seems to have worked very well and all is fine
                  Thanks again for your help

Stan
                  Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Because most programs add registry entries, wholesale cutting and pasting will cause problems.

Try a 3rd party tool like partition magic to increase the size of the partition, or investigate mount points to make another drive "pretend" to be a folder on a partition.

Tom

Comment

Another happy camper
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by bounceallback View Post
                      Just to let you know I followed your suggestion and used the partition magic. It seems to have worked very well and all is fine
                      Thanks again for your help

Stan
                      That was by far the best solution.

So you went from 5 GB to n GB for C Page file on the C: drive or ???
                      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                      X