Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't see other computers in same work group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see other computers in same work group?

hi,
    I have a small network with 5 windows xp computers, and in same works group, recently I can't see other 3 computer in the workgroups and only 2 computers left there, I even tried enable netbios over tcp/ip on those computers ,but it's not working too.
    thanks!

Re: Can't see other computers in same work group?

Have you recently upgraded or installed a firewall on the computers?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

no, I didn't, do I need to enable something on firewall?

Comment

Sorry I don't have time to give a better answer (I can later) but:

-Make sure File and Print sharing is an exception on the Windows firewall
        -Check the Computer Browser service
        -Look into configuring a Master Browser
        -Make sure NetBT is enabled on the computers
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

the windows filewall has beeb disabled on computers, and netbios are enabled, but how to Check the Computer Browser service,and Look into configuring a Master Browser?

Comment

OK, lets go down the list....

-Does the event log show anything?
            -Have you installed/upgraded any software on any of the computers?
            -Have you changed the configuration on any of the computers?
            -Do you have any idea what it could be and if so, what leads you to think that?\

For Computer Browser and Master Browser read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

When you say NetBIOS are (is) enabled, what do you mean? That you installed the NetBEUI protocol from a WXP disk or that the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is running?

Have you tried an NBTSTAT -R on each machine? And how about an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS followed by an IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS for good measure?

Otherwise, you can always try installing the NetBEUI protocol stack from the WXP disk as follows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301041

I have it installed on many of my machines, especially if I ever map a share against the local computer as MS/TCP is still a sorry piece of work on loopback, and have never had any adverse side effects.

I imagine it'll fix your prob if it's not firewall related. Now if it does, that means something else is still wrong as you shouldn't need NetBEUI to see your local workgroup computers.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

before I can make networkmapping driver using server's name like \\fileserver\sharing folder name, but now I can't , I have to use IP address instead of name like \\192.168.0.102\shares

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjiang View Post
                  I have to use IP address instead of name
                  Sounds like a name resolution issue indeed. It might explain why are your computers disappearing too...
                  Both JeremyW and rvalstar have asked you some questions. It will be very helpful to answer them...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -

Comment

Working...
                  X