missing file of pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing file of pictures

Hi,can someone please help a complete computer novice?
    I have a folder of some pictures in My Pictures but when I click on the folder it shows each individual file but the pictures have disappeared and it just says No preview available.Where are my pics?please as anyone any ideas.If you have can you please explain in as non technical language as possible.Cheers

Re: missing file of pictures

The pictures are in the My Pictures folder. You have somehow ruined the file association to and appropriate picture viewer.

Download and install InfranView and it should allow you to see your pictures again. http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967
    The program is Freeware so it doesn't cost anything. However it is a while since I used it so it may have some advertising. Anyone help me (and jpmag) out here?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,Biggles,
      I tried what you suggested but just got no luck.Message said unable to read file header ,unknown file format or file not found.What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Hi

what is the file extension? try to rename it (use some english name or numbers) and also use at the end a DOT(.) and a file extension like (jpg) or the original extension if you know what it is or was.

also if the files are in a ZIP archive(or some other archive). extract them first.

and if its very urgent try to attach a picture here so we can see if its a file problem or a local problem at your system.

Yaniv F
        Last edited by yaniv; 15th January 2007, 08:06.
        MCSE 2000 Done
        RHCE Done

Comment

yaniv,thanks for advice but i am a complete novice and do not understand how to do what you suggest.I have tried to attach file,but a message appears saying it is not a valid image file.HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jpmag View Post
            Hi,can someone please help a complete computer novice?
            I have a folder of some pictures in My Pictures but when I click on the folder it shows each individual file but the pictures have disappeared and it just says No preview available.Where are my pics?please as anyone any ideas.If you have can you please explain in as non technical language as possible.Cheers
            I've seen this most often caused by copying picture from a camera (but also network resources like File Shares) and the permissions on the files (pictures) are not set properly.

What Operating System (OS) are you using? (e.g. Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, etc)

Once we know your OS we can give you instructions on how to check the permissions.... but let's continue, it may be another problem...

yaniv,thanks for advice but i am a complete novice and do not understand how to do what you suggest.I have tried to attach file,but a message appears saying it is not a valid image file.HELP!!!!!!!!!!
            Did you rename the files and that's when they stopped working?
            What yaniv was saying is to put ".jpg" on the end of the file name.
            Try this:
            -Right-click on one of the pictures
            -Select Rename
            -Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the end of the name
            -Type in .jpg and press the Enter key

If you still can't see the picture then that means one of three things (that I can think of)
            1. In the Folder Options you have "hide extentions for known file types" checked
            2. You don't have the proper permissions on the file
            3. It's not a JPEG file

Post back and we'll continue troubleshooting.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

or send me a pm and ill pm you my e mail so you can send me one file and ill check it for you.

Yaniv F
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

Hi Jeremy w,
                Thanks so far.I am On windows xp.I have renamed file as you suggest but still no success.Heres hoping you can help furthur.

Comment

I am On windows xp.
                  Okay, we need to know if it's Home or Professional.
                  To check this, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. It will tell you there whether it's Home or Pro.

I have renamed file as you suggest but still no success.Heres hoping you can help furthur.
                  OK, let's check if it's the settings in the Folder Options.

To check:
                  -Click the Start menu and select Control Panel
                  -Click Appearance and Themes and then Folder Options (or just Folder Options if you're in "Classic View")
                  -Select the View tab
                  -Under Advanced settings: make sure there's no check in the box for Hide extensions for known file types
                  -Click OK

If it did have a check in the box then go back and rename the file again.
                  If it didn't have a check in the box come back (don't forget to answer the other questions) and we'll continue.

NOTE - I don't know why I didn't ask this before but what happens when you double click the picture?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have you used a piece of software and later removed it that might have *taken over* your Pic's?

You could try;

* Right clicking one of the images that does not currently open.

* Select *Open with* Windows Picture and fax viewer.

* Make sure the *Always use this program to open this type of file* option is selected.

This is assuming you are trying to open a file that Windows XP can open natively.

For example. if you used a graphics program to create or alter an image and then removed the software, I think you would be left with a file Windows wouldn't really know what to do with.

Comment

Jeremy
                      Box was ticked ,so unticked it.All files have.jpeg at end of them.When I double click,message says "no preview available"

Comment

OK, we'll move on to checking the permissions but we need to find out whether you're using Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional.
                        Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Okay, we need to know if it's Home or Professional.
                        To check this, right-click on My Computer and select Properties. It will tell you there whether it's Home or Pro.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thanks simonsays tried it but still no success

Comment

Hi Jeremy W
                            I am using windows xp home edition

Comment

OK jpmag, now I can direct you how to check the permissions.
                              Please note that you'll need a user with administrative privileges
                              to perform some of the tasks. When you boot into Safe Mode (one of the steps below) there will be an extra user listed, Administrator. If the account that you normally use is a "Computer administrator" you can use it, if not then use the Administrator account.

To check the permissions:

If you use your normal account
                              1. Boot into Safe Mode (see this link for instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222)
                              2. Open your My Pictures folder
                              3. Find one of the files you're having trouble with
                              4. Right-click it and select Properties
                              5. Select the Security tab. If you get a waring that you don't have permissions, click OK.
                              6. If you can see users and groups listed make sure that your username is listed and that there's a check in the box for Allow Full Control. When your user has Full Control then you can restart the computer normally and post back here, otherwise continue.
                              7. If it's blank then click Advanced and select the Owner tab.
                              8. You should see the Administrators group and/or the user you're logged on with. Select the Administrators group and click Apply.
                              9. Now click the Permissions tab and put a check next to Inherit from parent the permission entries... etc etc etc and click OK.
                              10. Double-click the file and see if it opens properly. If it does then highlight all the files you have trouble with and repeat steps 4 - 9.
                              11. Restart normally and make sure you can access the files.

If you use the Administrator account
                              1. Boot into Safe Mode (see this link for instructions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222)
                              2. Click on the Start menu and select Run...
                              3. type in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Pictures" (with quotation marks) and press <Enter>
                                note - username = the name of the account you normally use. So if your user name is jpmag then the path would be "C:\Documents and Settings\jpmag\My Documents\My Pictures"
                              4. Find one of the files you're having trouble with
                              5. Right-click it and select Properties
                              6. Select the Security tab. If you get a waring that you don't have permissions, click OK.
                              7. If you can see users and groups listed make sure that your username is listed and that there's a check in the box for Allow Full Control. When your user has Full Control then you can restart the computer normally and post back here, otherwise continue.
                              8. If it's blank then click Advanced and select the Owner tab.
                              9. You should see the Administrators group and/or the user you're logged on with. Select the Administrators group and click Apply.
                              10. Now click the Permissions tab and put a check next to Inherit from parent the permission entries... etc etc etc and click OK.
                              11. Double-click the file and see if it opens properly. If it does then highlight all the files you have trouble with and repeat steps 5 - 10.
                              12. Restart normally and make sure you can access the files.

Post back with any questions.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X