Deleted Admin User

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted Admin User

I have searched previous articles but can't find any. With Windows XP Professeional. I have deleted the main administration user. This is the only user with admin rights. The only other user is guest. It was not set up with a password. Is there a way of reactivating or recoverring the ADMIN user?
    Thankyou
    Graeme

Re: Deleted Admin User

If I remember right, the default Administrator user cannot be deleted. Not from XP, anyway. Are you sure about it? How did you came to the conclusion that it has been deleted?
    Edited: Yeap. You should have got a message stating: "Built-in accounts cannot be deleted". So, what did you do?
    Another question to be answered: are you in a domain, or stand alone?
    Last edited by sorinso; 12th January 2007, 07:13.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you for the response.Computer is stand alone. Actually deleted.
      Since my post I have used the install disk and tried to repair. Seems to have saved document and pictures etc. All office programs etc still there. Outlook was default mail client, but now can't find the old emails. I would have thought as outlook was part of the office suite, it would have retained them. Thanks again
      Graeme

Comment

what my concern is how? you need admin rights to do anything like that, therefore you must have been logged on as Admin, seeing as the only other account is guest, and made it impossible to delete the account
        changed

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Murgatroyd View Post
          what my concern is how? you need admin rights to do anything like that, therefore you must have been logged on as Admin, seeing as the only other account is guest, and made it impossible to delete the account
          Not the case. Never forget physical security.

If someone steals my XP Professional laptop, boots from a XP Setup CD and installs a fresh version of the operating system, they are now the administrator.
          If I have not encrypted files, they now have access.

As for the original question, I agree with Sorinso.
          Were you using the MMC to view user accounts or Control Panel? XP needs at least one admin account.

Comment

Originally posted by Pintara3 View Post
            Thank you for the response.Computer is stand alone. Actually deleted. Since my post I have used the install disk and tried to repair.
            Still, would like to know what happened to the Administrator account.
            Originally posted by Pintara3 View Post
            Outlook was default mail client, but now can't find the old emails. I would have thought as outlook was part of the office suite, it would have retained them. Thanks again
            Graeme
            Given that, that you don't see your e-mails, I assume you are connected to a server that is not Exchange. This means that your e-mails should be in a PST file. Look for a PST file in your old drive. If you'll find one, import it in Outlook.
            Keep us posted.
            Simonsays: Let's hope it's the right thing...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X