No announcement yet.

Windows XP VPN connection to Windows 2000 Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP VPN connection to Windows 2000 Server

Hi all,

on my computer at home I'm running Windows XP Professional OEM with Service Pack 1 and all other patches installed. At work I have configured a Windows 2000 Server machine to function as a VPN server so I can "dialin" over the Internet to communicate with the computers at work.

The problem is that the VPN connection works well sometimes and sometimes its a complete disaster. With complete disaster I mean that the VPN connection fails and the XP-machine looses nearly all network functionality and I can't even ping my SOHO router anymore (which I could before making the VPN connection).

I've tried the following commands after loosing network functionality:

- ipconfig /release

and the IP-address, etc is set to

- ipconfig /renew

and I get a valid IP-address, subnet mask, default gateway, dns servers from the SOHO router (which has a builtin DHCP-server) like this:

Default gateway:
    but I can't ping the router which is located at and I can't ping other machines at my local network.

I've done this command:

- sfc /scannow

just to see if it makes any difference.

I've even tried:

netsh int ip reset c:\tcpipreset.txt

did a reboot, but the problem keeps coming back. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

If I want to restore complete network functionality the only thing I can do is to reboot the computer.

I'm open for any suggestions, thanx in advance!
    MCSE 2003: Security