Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second SATA drive suddenly becomes invisible!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second SATA drive suddenly becomes invisible!

I have 2 hard drives.

The Primary , a Seagate PATA 60Gbte which is partitioned into C,D,E and F partitions and which has XP Pro-SP2 on the C: partition.

The second hard drive is an 120Gbte SATA drive partitioned into H,I,J,K and L used for data mainly.

After some difficulty initially getting the m/b , an ASUS K8V SE, to "see" the SATA drive when I first installed it some 6 months ago , it has been working without any problems until today when , suddenly , with no warning messages , it is not showing anywhere on the PC.

There are no error messages in Device Manager but also no references to the drive either where previously it was shown , for some reason I never understood , as a"Maxtor 6V200EO SCSI Drive"

As far as I can remember the last time I noticed its presence was just before I attempted to access the BIOS page for an unrelated reason , got into Safe Mode in error ( by pressing DELETE) and then got into the BIOS by pressing F8 where i then noticed that there was no indication of this drive.

After re-booting , it was still unrecognised.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this ?

I made no changes to the BIOS and all I did in Safe Mode was attempt to delete a corrupt Folder in an external drive ( unsuccessfuly)

The drive came with a CD called "MaxBLAST 4" Installation Software.

Re: Second SATA drive suddenly becomes invisible!

ok. hardware has two things, physical detection by BIOS and software detection by loading software drivers.

As your computer boots up it will detect the GPU, CPU, RAM and hard drives and other physically connected devices.

SATA is fairly new, so on most motherboards it isn't integrated into the chipset and requires a secondary chipset or PCI card to control the SATA drives.

You need to see if the hardware is recognised - as it may be a physical connection issue (either power or data cable has come loose).

The SATA drives will generally be loaded before the operating system starts to load (ie before you see the Windows XP boot screen).

You may have a OEM logo that is displayed before this and often you will need to press a button to see the hardware devices being detected.

If it does appear here (and seeing you have 2 drives you will need to see two drives listed after the SATA controller loads) then the next thing to check is software drivers have loaded.

Rightclick [My computer] and then [Manage] goto [Storage] and then [Disk Management] - does the physical drive exist here?

Here's a start to get you thinking -

Matt

Comment

You have me a bit confused. You got into Safe Mode by pressing the DELETE key and then into the BIOS by pressing F8 function key. Is this correct?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm guessing the OP means the Fail-safe default settings in the BIOS vs. Safe Mode in an OS boot sense?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I d it and it got a lot of hits. Looks like this mobo has a serious issue with SATA drives.
          Try to see if anything from there helps.
          Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

You could convert that SATA drive back to an IDE interface:

http://www.rosewill.com/product/prod...?productId=412

http://www.sabrent.com/products/specs/SBT-STDB.htm

I have the Rosewill and have used it several times with success on a Seagate SATA-2 drive.

Does slow things down to SATA-1. Also, if you have WD drives, WD puts the SATA connectors in a different place. Not an issue except both these converters put the master/slave jumper block on the SATA connector side (even if Rosewill's pic doesn't show it, mine came that way) and it gets in the way on my WD drives. If you are solder savy, you could try to remove the jumper block and place it on the other side.

There are other SATA device to IDE interface products out there but do look at the connectors as the ones I've seen come with female IDE and male SATA connectors so you'll have to plug them directly into the IDE socket on motherboard. These would fix the WD issue as you use a SATA cable from the adapter to the drive.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Firstly,

I'd like to thank everybody who's replied to date and also any who may have already replied but whose posts have not yet been printed here as I write this.

Secondly ,

I'm embarrassed at having to say that this problem was resolved by the simple method of checking the wiring to the hard drive !! It must have loosened thus causing the problem !

Talk about checking the obvious things first !

I couldn't see the forest for the trees!

I hope I didn't waste too much of your time ?

Comment

I'm not embarrassed to say "been there, done that". I formatted and reinstalled a personal computer of mine FOUR times suspecting a particularly nasty virus, until I noticed that the IDE lead had a bit of insulation shaved off, and was shorting out on the case metalwork...

Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

We've all been in a situation where simple sometimes gets over-looked - at least there's no data loss or corruption involved.

Cheers,
                  Matt

* Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate *

Comment

Never be afraid to take responsibility, stand and say: "Sorry, my fault".
                    In your case, thenoo, is not that bad . As phoenixnm said, it happens to us all. The important thing is to learn the lesson. And the lesson is that there are people willing to help.
                    This said, I'm glad you solved the problem.

Live long and prosper !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X