IE7: force links to open in new tab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE7: force links to open in new tab?

There are many forums such as this one where links automatically open in a new window. With the coming of IE7, opening in a new tab is a better option. I know you can right click the link and select "open in new tab" but is there a way of making this default behaviour?

Of course, if its set at the forum level, I presume it will wait for vbb to catch up with Microsoft.

Environment:
    XP SP2
    IE7

Thanks in advance
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: IE7: force links to open in new tab?

If you are talking about hyperlinks in this form:
    <A HREF="newwindow.html" TARGET="_blank">a new window</A>

that normally pop up a new browser window, you can change that behavior to opening a new tab in IE7 as follows:
    Tools\Internet Options\General\Tabs\Settings\When a pop-up is encountered\Always open pop-ups in a new tab
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

There's a GPO solution too.
      Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows can be downloaded from Microsoft's site.
      Anyway, take a look at the attached ie7_adm.jpg file, I think this is the setting you need. If it doesn't show up, you might need to update the ADM files from the link above.
      Good luck.
      Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thanks guys!
        Seems to work like a charm!

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom,

Might be a bit late but i'm using IE7 and have all my windows open in a new tab by using these settings

Click on Tools, Internet Options and click on the Settings button for Tabs.

or Right Click IE and Select Properties

Hope this helps
          Attached Files

Comment

**grumble** can't imagine why anyone would want to use Mozilla IE7 anyway... **grumble**

http://www.msfirefox.com/

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Here's an extension to the questions:
              What about Shift-clicking a link? Is there a way to get it to open in a new tab instead of a new window? I've enabled all the settings that have windows open in a new tab and I've searched before to no avail.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                **grumble** can't imagine why anyone would want to use Mozilla IE7 anyway... **grumble**

That is bloody hilarious. Made my day.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post

Neither do I, that is why I have stayed with IE6, (the non Mozilla version).
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Firefox all the way for me!!

Except I do use IE for Virtual Server, and that's about it

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk
                    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

I really don't want to spark the thousand-years-old dispute about Microsoft vs. OpenCode products.
                      I just want to remind everyone no one is safe, unless his computer is not connected to the Net.
                      Take a look at this article: http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6121608.html. It's old, but what worries me is the paragraph stating hackers know about some 30 flaws in Mozilla, that they are not revealing, to be able to exploit them at their chosen time.
                      Leave long and prosper !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X