XP (slow) authentication in WG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP (slow) authentication in WG

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction...

I have 3 computers in a WG, all of them XP. To connect I use a netgear ds104 on 100mbit.

The problem I have is that the machines take at least 20 or 30 secs before they can make a connection to another machine or the router (and it was the same before I added the router last week for adsl).

It seems like some validation problem. The router is dhcp but it also happened when fixed ip was used.

Any suggestion anyone ?
    regards

It could be a resolving issue as well...

When you want to connect to a certain pc, do you use the hostname or the IP ?

If using the hostname, try the following:
    */ edit %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file
    */ add IP & hostname of a certain pc
    */ test it

Marty.
    Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.

Comment

Remove the search for Scheduled Tasks. Daniel has a note on this, it is a pretty common issue and easy enough to remove: http://www.petri.com/speed-up_network_browsing.htm
      * Users Helping Users *
      MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

one more thing you should try is to make sure than all computers use the same authenication type. Go to your NIC, properties, Authentication tab. What does it say?
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to give some info with my last post...

If I understand it correctly, you're working in a same environment as myself. That is, I've got a small network linked to eachother with a Nexland router (8 ports switch). My router acts as DHCP server, but I don't have a DNS or WINS server present.

Correct me when wrong (and please do) but when trying to ping a host, it will always check first the local host file, then see for DNS/WINS resolution and then use NetBUI (broadcast). It could be possible that this cause the small extra amount of time to find the correct IP. If defining the IP and host in the local hosts file, it doesn't need to search for DNS WINS, neither do a broadcast to find the correct IP...

Thus my guess is that adding the IP and host in the local hosts file will give you a quicker respons...

Daniel: please do correct me if I'm typing completely rubbish in here

Marty
          Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.

Comment

No, you're right on the name resolution issue, however the latency between looking in the HOSTS file and querying the local DNS is minimal, surely not worth the 20-30 seconds interval...

Let's wait for the original poster's reply. It could be some mis-config of his network, but we're all guessing here.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

OK, querying the local DNS shouldn't take that time, but I don't think he has... Also when falling back to broadcast, it uses some little more time. All together it could make 20-30 seconds... Not?

Cheers and thanks for the replay Daniel

Comment

I think you guys are over complicating DNS issues.
                But perhaps not.

In a similar Workgroup setting I have experimented with:

. through DHCP on the router, forcing DNS to the router, most essentially are a DNS proxy;

. through DHCP, forcing the DNS entries to the ISP entries as 1,2, and the fallback as the router address as DNS proxy server;

. Entering directly in the router table the DNS for the respective ISP, rather than depend on the router's own DHCP resolution of the addresses. The hope was that the router's own route table would be more efficient.

In the end the router does a decent job of routinig LAN vs. WAN DSL addresses.

The issue is really pure Windows in this particular queston.

. Remove the Scheduled Tasks overhead, as I mentioned above;
                . Deal cleanly with SMB signing issues;
                . Deal cleanly with oppotunistic locking issues;
                . Deal cleanly with Autodisconnect issues;

See, for the last three points: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;814112

Be certain to read every link in that MS KB article.

I think Microsoft itself is slightly chagrined by the Workgroup speed of Win2k and XP clients in mixed settings. See, for example, http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;811169

Which is being held to the end of October, 2003. (And as I write this, it is 11/3/3002).

Overall solution: let the router route, use DHCP on the clients through the router. Use the simple registry changes mentioned above to improve LAN browsing. Wait for Service Pack 2.

For the incredibly inpatiant, you could adjust your SMB service with a carefull reading of Snakefoot's site: http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/network.html

But I think it would be better to wait.

Best,
                Bill Castner

Comment

Cheers

Thanks for the effort and advise everyone. Thumbs !!

Tonight it's fixing time and I will apply all suggestions to see what may resolve this issue.

I used to live with it before I subscribed to ADSL and it was no big deal since multiplayer LAN gaming was no problem. But now the problem makes Internet usage almost impossible. After a couple of minutes of browsing (especially if I take a break from clicking and read something for a change) the connection is lost and the browser states: "detecting proxy" followed by a "i cant find that page so sod it" and I need to reboot either the pc or the router/modem (zyxel 650)

Will come back to let you know.

Comment

I tried all of the above but to no avail. I did some more tests though..

Seem to have blackouts during LAN traffic. Internet will not show up during these breakdowns. dnslookup shows nothing is registering and neither does ping. Machines were reinstalled last week due to adsl that came up. I have normal dns resolution when the line is up.

Comment

OK, tell me if I'm getting this right...

Router which connects WG to the internet, 3 pc's connected.
                      DHCP is enabled. Did you configure fix IP's by adding the MAC's in the router? Because when working with the hosts file, it's only interesting when you have fix IP addresses defined. Most router/switch boxes support that method...
                      No DNS/WINS server present on your network.

When internet goes down, you can't do resolvement of any of the pc's... Seems strange. Did you try to ping to the IP's directly?

Also on the pc side, what TCP/IP configuration did you set? Did you set DNS/WINS servers fixed (ex. those of your internet provider)?

With other words, can you give in detail your configuration?

Comment

I can still ping the LAN pc's. No ping results from Internet during blackouts. I have automatic DNS and no WINS (nothing but XP in my lan so no need). Though I did try to fix all IP settings (IP, provider DNS) and disabled DHCP. This did not help.

What I did find on another forum is a thread about a similar problem which was resolved by replacing the hub by a switch. Today I bought one so I will see if it works... If not I will submit a complete system layout with ip config details and the works..

Comment

Let us know, because I'm loosing it in this one...

Marty

Comment

Working...
                          X