Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost from SATA to SATA - Win XP

Hi Guys,

I have a strange issue, about ghosting a Win XP Machine (IBM Hardware) With Win XP , from SATA to another SATA HD.
    The Destination HD Won't boot after the ghost has finished, but the ghost worked just fine - no errors.
    It shows a blank marker on the left spot.
    I used ghost 2003.

Thanks,
    Retaliator.
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Ghost from SATA to SATA - Win XP

Is the partition "Active"? See the GDISK utility included w/ Ghost.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Has the destination HDD been installed in a different machine or the same machine? If different, is the hardware identical or is it different?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

For the two respones, Thanks.

1) the Partition is Active (Can use FDISK as well as GDISK)
        2) On the same machine i ghosted or another it is the same problem and its identical hardware.

Retaliator.
        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Then try an FDISK /MBR to reset the master boot record (unless you know of some special SW residing there)
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator View Post
            For the two respones, Thanks.

1) the Partition is Active (Can use FDISK as well as GDISK)
            2) On the same machine i ghosted or another it is the same problem and its identical hardware.

Retaliator.
            Can you post back and list all the files in the Ghost folder on the imaged drive.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

FDISK /MBR not working , what did you mean about switches?

about ghost image - what to post? it got the same files as the other i guess.
              Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

So FDISK /MBR works but does not fix the situation or fails to execute at all?

GDISK n /MBR where n is the disk # is an alternative.

EDIT: FDISK /MBR only affects disk 0 so GDISK may be the ticket depending on your config ALSO "SW" = software like bootmagic or ???
                Last edited by rvalstar; 3rd January 2007, 21:41. Reason: additional info
                Cheers,

Rick

Comment

None of those really helps
                  There is no software.. like Bootmagic.
                  Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

I take it you can tell the BIOS to boot from the target drive and you have tried making it the only drive in the box?

When you do, what happens?

Also, I take it the source disk was "Basic" with 1 partition and the target is the same?

Reformatting the MBR and then setting the partition as Active should get it to boot.

I do it all the time. Now, in the good old days before I knew what I was doing, I would do the following to a new target disk prior to restoring a bootable partition from Ghost:

Install whatever OS (NT+) I had around that could work on that size HD just so the HD was set to boot something. Once I verified it booted, I would restore from Ghost onto that partition and all the MBR / Active stuff would be setup correctly from my scratch install.

You shouldn't have to do this but it is fool proof. If you can't boot the scratch install then you're certainly not going to be able to boot the restored Ghost image.

Also, I always do "partition" images w/ Ghost, not full "disk" images.

I don't believe that concept holds true in Ghost 10 anymore as they are all partition images but you should be able to select between these in older versions.
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

A shot in the dark: can this thread be of any help?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -

Comment

I found two ways to solve this issue

1) use GHOST -IB when imaging !
                        2) use FDISK /MBR actually did work, i used it from Super FDISK though.

Thanks for all! hope this helps other people!
                        Retaliator,
                        MCSE
                        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Working...
                        X