Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the "User Privilege Service" and where did it come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the "User Privilege Service" and where did it come from?

This service has suddenly appeared on my XP Pro SP2 fully up to date system and I don't know why or what it does. I suddenly can't install programs either because it started saying that it can't read the MSI file.

What's going on?!

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: What is the "User Privilege Service" and where did it come from?

I see it in Google but I don't have it on my machines.

1) What is its "Path to executable:" ?

2) Have you tried stopping it / setting it to Manual / Disabled?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

It's set to Manual and it's not started... but do I NEED it started?

Any ideas on the "Unable to Install" problem? I literally cannot install ANYTHING which uses an MSI file; it fails and says it can't read the MSI file. I was snooping around looking for hints to that problem, when I came across the User Privilege Service.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

path to Exe is C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs and it has no dependencies.

Tom

Comment

So I'm interested in the link between the MSI issue and this service. I take it you've started the service and the problem remains? I also take it you've done the requisite ad-ware / mal-ware scan. And I'm sure you installed from an MSI in the past month or two.

This is quite odd. Is this a domain or workgroup machine? Anything else you can add? I realize you've latched on to this service but what if it is irrelevant to your MSI issue?

Grasping at straws...
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Nothing else to add as yet; I'm currently in the middle of an EWIDO/AVG scan. It's a workgroup machine (my home PC) so I'm a little worried/pensive/lip-chewingly worried.

Tom

Comment

EWIDO/AVG was clear. So - I'm not worried about malware. BLEAH.

I hate these odd little problems...

Tom

Comment

Could it be a permissions issue? Are the MSI files you tested stored in the same directory?
                Any changes to the Local Policy?
                (grasping at straws as well )
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Another thought. Is the MSI in a nice, easy directory like C:\Temp or on a network share, subst'd drive, path with strange characters in the name?

I have had problems in the past installing some MSI's from strange places. Copied to C:\Temp and the install worked fine.

And I take it the MSI will install on another machine (file not corrupted).
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

"The MSI" is about 5 different ones from different sources. They are stored in separate folders in G:\Tom\Other Setups\New

All have worked before.

I have just re-installed Windows Installer 3.1 V2 from the Microsoft Site. Still the same.

SIGH

Tom

Comment

For the sake of elimination (not poop) could install something from the system drive?
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

DING!!!!

Give that man a biscuit.

It installs fine from the System drive (in a folder off the root).

WHY?

Tom

Comment

Not sure why. Have you checked the permissions?

EDIT - Maybe if you enable verbose logging it would tell us some more information http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314852/
                          Last edited by JeremyW; 3rd January 2007, 14:31.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Just for kicks, take the space out of "G:\Tom\Other Setups\New" and see if they install from there.

That may be why I ended up w/ C:\Temp as my default installation location?

Opening an MSI from Explorer runs the following:

"%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*

The "%1" should handle paths with spaces fine. Don't know how the %* affects things however.

Just another thought...
                            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

OK - seems it was the space in the pathname - even though it's never been an issue before.

Thanks guys!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X