Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems getting two win2k pro machines to see eachothers in a lan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems getting two win2k pro machines to see eachothers in a lan.

Ok;

I have a problem obviously. A customer called with a networkingproblem.

SETUP:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Network.gif
Views:	1
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	467648

-Both machines are Windows 2000 Pro SP2 with Intel 10/100 VE onboard network cards.
    -No internet connection.
    -No firewall.
    -No antivirus.
    -Static IP adresses. No DHCP.
    -8 port switch/hub. (No routing)

Server IP config as it was when I got there:
    IP Adress: 192.168.15.5
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.15.1

Client IP config as it was when I got there:
    IP Adress: 192.168.15.6
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.15.1

Alas, it all seems fine. Allthough I don't see the use of the Default Gateway....

PROBLEM:
    The server contains the databaseinfo for a program on the client. The client cannot connect to the db. Because the path is wrong. Well, it isn't. The server is mapped as S:\\servername\foldername\

Both machines are in the same workgroup without a domain. Workgroupname is just WORKGROUP.

On the server it looks like this:

My network places-Microsoft network-WORKGROUP-(SERVER and CLIENT is listed)

So it seems that the server can see the client. If I rightclick the client and choose properties, it stalls and gives me the error of "Can not find \\client\". Alas; It can see the client, but not communicate.

On the client it looks like this:

My network places-Microsoft network-WORKGROUP-(CLIENT is the only machine listed)

So the client is unable to see the server.

I cannot PING from the server to the client with neither netBIOS name or IP.
    I cannot PING from the client to the server with neither netBIOS name or IP.
    It says host <clientname> (or <IP>) unreachable.
    Seems like the cable is broken, but I have checked the cable.

I CAN PING the server if I connect my laptop where the client is with both netBIOS and IP.
    I can NOT PING the client with my laptop from the servers location.

The client has no shared folders or files, but I put up one to check. Could not map the clients shared folder from the server.

Conclusion: The client is somehow blocking itself from the network.

I am no genious in networking, but I have set up quite a few of the same style without problems. But never with win2k Pro.

Info from the customer:
    -Everything was working until some day in December.
    -No new programs are installed.
    -No hardware has changed.
    -No changes in the network.
    -Software update a few months before, but worked fine after.
    -May have stopped working when the servermachine suddenly didn't want to log out and shut down normally and he had to just push the off button, but he wasn't sure.

What I did when I came there:
    -Checked all cables. Nothing wrong.
    -Tried a new Switch. Same problem.
    -Checked IP settings.(Tried without Default Gateway, Tried another IP etc.)
    -Tried connecting the machines outside the network. (Just plain Crossed cable between them. Same problem.)
    -Added the IP and hostname in the WINNT/System32/Drivers/etc/Hosts file
    -Checked the Security Policy Settings on both machines.
    -Turned off Computer Browser Service on both machines.(Lost the possibility to connect to WORKGROUP)
    -Turned on the Computer Browser Service.(Got back the WORKGROUP, but still the same as above. Server sees client, but can't communicate. Client sees only client)
    -Put up the Microsoft Network from scratch. Same problem.
    -Checked the Systemlog on both machines. Errormessage found on the servers syslog(Error in Norwegian. No idea how to translate it, but something about the server getting a call from the client who thinks it's the mainsearcher/masterbrowser in \Device\NetBT_tcpip? So it stops the call or forces an outcome)

I think that's about it.... I'll add if I can recall more I did.

I went to him thinking it might be a loose cable or malfunctioning switch, but it clearly wasn't that. Anyone with better knowledge on win2k?

-TLW-
    Last edited by tlwestre; 3rd January 2007, 17:17. Reason: solved

Re: Problems getting two win2k pro machines to see eachothers in a lan.

I'm guessing at the error but check out this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135404

Are there both switches and hubs on the network?
    Was any computer ever configured as the Master Browser?

EDIT - good post btw, gave a good description of the situation.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks. Good question = quicker solution as stated in the rules .

"Are there both switches and hubs on the network?"

-No. Just one switch with 8 ports. It's just that it says switch/hub on the sticker. Can't recall the brand, but it doesn't matter as that is not the problem.

"Was any computer ever configured as the Master Browser?"

-As the network/machines was set up some years ago and by other people than me. I can't be sure what was done then if that's what you mean. And since I am abit green on networking still. I will check out the link you gave me and read about the whole Master Browser subject. I haven't actually been aware of that.....hehe

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do some reading then, but I still think it's weird that it stopped working all of a sudden without any altering of anything. but then again... Microsoft works in mysterious ways....

Comment

I reread your post a few times (a good one it is) it would seem that you can never get to the client machine and the server is just fine. Looks like a NIC hardware issue on the client that sporadicly works. That would be consistent with still showing up on the server under network places.

Can you put in a new NIC?

You are correct there is no need for a gateway if this is your whole setup.
        PS. What do the green boxes mean in the diagram

EDIT- The master browser is irrelevant if you tried with IP's
        Last edited by Lior_S; 2nd January 2007, 22:42.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by tlwestre View Post
          Thanks. Good question = quicker solution as stated in the rules .
          Trying to use positive reinforcement

but I still think it's weird that it stopped working all of a sudden without any altering of anything. but then again... Microsoft works in mysterious ways....
          OK, simple fact: if it worked before and doesn't anymore then something HAS changed. But that change isn't necessarily a configuration change. It could be hardware failure...

Have you pinged the localhost from the client computer? Is there any other hosts on the network?

EDIT - Lior, I was totally blind to the fact that you posted. Good point on the Master Browser.
          Last edited by JeremyW; 2nd January 2007, 22:47.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

"What do the green boxes mean in the diagram?"

My bad. They are simply the RJ45 contacts(network outlets might be the right description) on the wall in each end of the cable. They aren't really nessecary in the diagram at all when I think of it. Cables go from one box to another and are patched with shorter cables between.

I can see they are a bit confusing now. Just ignore them.

Port 1: Not in use.
            Port 2: Straight to server.
            Port 3: Not in use.
            Port 4: Straight to client.
            Port 5: Not in use.
            Port 6: Not in use.
            Port 7: Not in use.
            Port 8: Not in use.

"OK, simple fact: if it worked before and doesn't anymore then something HAS changed. But that change isn't necessarily a configuration change. It could be hardware failure..."

-Indeed, but remember. This is what the customer said.

"Info from the customer:
            -Everything was working until some day in December.
            -No new programs are installed.
            -No hardware has changed.
            -No changes in the network.
            -Software update a few months before, but worked fine after.
            -May have stopped working when the servermachine suddenly didn't want to log out and shut down normally and he had to just push the off button, but he wasn't sure."

At least the last line there tells us that something was not normal all of a sudden.

First of all I'll try with a new card for the client.

Haven't had the time to read anything more about this yet, but this sure gives me alot to work with. Thanks a bunch. I'll get back to you after some research. I wish I had the network in front of me
            Last edited by tlwestre; 3rd January 2007, 00:46. Reason: Adding a line

Comment

Hi tlwestre

I have come across something similar previously but it was back in the NT days.
              The resolution then was:

1. Remove the server or client from the workgroup, just add it to another one and reboot
              2. Now add it back to its original workgroup reboot

Obviously I'm not sure if it will work in this case but it is similar to mine some years ago, I just thought it may help.
              The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
              ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Problems getting two win2k pro machines to see eachothers in a lan.-[SOLVED]

Back from work. First thing today was to try a new NIC.

-Put in card.
                -Disable onboard card.
                -Set up IP again.
                -Worked like a charm on first try.

Even though the onboard card seems to be working it does not. I tried plugging it in again just to test, but it still wouldn't work. All the correct lights where shining and the pins looked ok, but it simply wouldn't let the client look out.

AndyUK wrote:
                1. Remove the server or client from the workgroup, just add it to another one and reboot
                2. Now add it back to its original workgroup reboot
                -Well. I tried setting the whole workgroup up from scratch in the first round of tests. Even with a different workgroupname. Wouldn't that do the same?

My conclusion would be hardwarefailure like Lior_S and JeremyW suggested.

Thanks for the tips guys. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you resolved it.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Problems getting two win2k pro machines to see eachothers in a lan.-[SOLVED]

Originally posted by tlwestre View Post
                    Back from work. First thing today was to try a new NIC.

-Put in card.
                    -Disable onboard card.
                    -Set up IP again.
                    -Worked like a charm on first try.

Even though the onboard card seems to be working it does not. I tried plugging it in again just to test, but it still wouldn't work. All the correct lights where shining and the pins looked ok, but it simply wouldn't let the client look out.
                    If ever you have to do a clean install with this motherboard, try the onboard NIC again. Had this myself and when the O/S was reinstalled clean, the onboard worked as if there was never a problem.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      If ever you have to do a clean install with this motherboard, try the onboard NIC again. Had this myself and when the O/S was reinstalled clean, the onboard worked as if there was never a problem.
                      Ah! I'll keep that in mind if I get in the same situation again. It's a clients computer though, so unless he is gonna change the OS, I won't be messing with it for some time.

Comment

One thing to consider is also trying the latest drivers for the card from the actual manufaturer and not the system designer.

We had an issue like this with a Dell server that had a broadcom NIC in it. We un-installed and re-installed the driver from Dell many times but were getting no joy with it and it kept failing after about 15 mins. Installed the latest driver from Broadcom and as far as i know it is still running with same said drivers.

You could also try a BIOS update just incase there was a bug somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                        X