Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need 2 sessions for windows Xp remote desktop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need 2 sessions for windows Xp remote desktop?

hi,
    I have a windows xp pro computer, 2 users will access it same time, but looks default XP only allow one user login . is anybody known how to make 2 users login sametime for windows Xp?
    thanks!
    jimmy

Re: need 2 sessions for windows Xp remote desktop?

Have a look at this thread and see if it answers your question
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11634
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

it not help, vnc server free edittion only support one user login too.

Comment

Windows XP is not a Terminal Server. The parts of Terminal Server which allow desktops in addition to the console session do not exist in Windows XP. You would need to pay for another product to do this (I don't know what).

Do you need to have two simultaneous users with separate desktops, like a Terminal Server? Or do you need two users logged into the Console at the same time?

If it's the second option, then VNC Server will do it if you pay. I don't know of a product which will do the first option.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I need 2 users can access remote access my windows xp pro computer, and run different applications same time, not interrupt each other.
          is vnc support no-ip,cause I 'm use a ddns record(like xxx.no-ip.org) to access my windows xp instead of static Ip.
          thanks!

Comment

I'm petty sure having two or more concurrent sessions violates the EULA...
            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/proeula.mspx
            1.4 Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance/NetMeeting. The Software contains Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, and NetMeeting technologies that enable the Software or applications installed on the Workstation Computer (sometimes referred to as a host device) to be accessed remotely from other Devices. You may use the Software's Remote Desktop feature (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) to access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device provided you acquire a separate Software license for that Device. As an exception to this rule, the person who is the single primary user of the Workstation Computer may access a Workstation Computer Session from any Device without acquiring an additional Software license for that Device. When you are using Remote Assistance or NetMeeting (or other software which provides similar functionality for a similar purpose) you may share a Session with other users without any limit on the number of Device connections and without acquiring additional licenses for the Software. For Microsoft and non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the license agreement accompanying the applicable software or contact the applicable licensor to determine whether use of the software with Remote Desktop, Remote Assistance, or NetMeeting is permitted without an additional license.
            There are hacks out there that allow you to have up to 3 concurrent sessions but the sites that post the info (and files) are having that info slowly disappear.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyjiang View Post
              I need 2 users can access remote access my windows xp pro computer, and run different applications same time, not interrupt each other.
              is vnc support no-ip,cause I 'm use a ddns record(like xxx.no-ip.org) to access my windows xp instead of static Ip.
              thanks!
              This is what a Terminal Server Operating System (such as Windows Server 2003) is for. It is also what several very expensive Terminal Services Applications are for (for instance Citrix Presentation Server etc). Why on earth would these products exist, if you could do this with a simple Workstation?!

I think JeremyW is exactly right here; this is not licenced use of the product and you are probably much better off buying a Server product such as the ones I mention.

OR

You could run several licenced copies of Windows XP on one physical machine using a (licenced) Virtualisation product such as Microsoft Virtual PC or VMWare Workstation, and have one user access each VM via remote control. THAT would be licenced use of the product.
              Last edited by Stonelaughter; 6th January 2007, 01:41.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

P.S. Yes, VNC supports no-ip - I use it myself. However see mine and Jeremy's posts above; and having reviewed VNC's documentation I may have been mistaken about the multiple-session function.

Tom

Comment

I tried vnc server's share session will allowed multiple users share one session, but that not good for two user use same xp' different applications same time. Then windows 2003 server will be a choice.
                  thanks for all help! Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                  X