Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formatting and re-installing XP ona laptop - will the pointer work ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting and re-installing XP ona laptop - will the pointer work ?

I have just received my first laptop in which I use the synaptic pointing device ( finger pad ) to navigate .

I want to " wipe " the drive on this machine and perform a clean install using an XP Pro-SP2 disk which I had purchased to install this OS on an old desktop PC which I no longer use.

I want to use this disk as the laptop does not come with any Installation Disks - merely a hidden partition containing software which will restore the machine to the factory installed condition.

When you "wipe " the drive on a desktop PC and use the XP Installation Disk to clean install the OS , the mouse always works afterwards as , presumably , the necessary mouse drivers are included in the XP Installation Disk.

Are the synaptic pad drivers also included as are the mouse drivers in these disks if I use this disk to clean install the OS onto a laptop , does anyone know ?

Should I need to separately install such drivers in this case ?

B.N.

Re: Formatting and re-installing XP ona laptop - will the pointer work ?

well first off, congrats on your first laptop.
    Second, it would help if you provided some more information on the model of this laptop.
    Third if the laptop has "a hidden partition containing software which will restore the machine" why don't you use that the reinstall the OS. (assuming it is XP....)
    Fourth, almost without exception, if your laptop is fairly new (< 3 yrs) Windows XP will have the driver for the Touchpad.
    Finally if it don't, come back here and we can show you how to install it
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Sixth, go to the Laptops support site and download EVERY driver for your laptop BEFORE you wipe the drive. Burn drivers to a CD so you will have a copy of them.
      Seventh, I kind of agree with you wiping the HDD. Depending on you laptop brand, you can get an awful lot of preinstalled software that can slow the machine down. My pet hates are Norton Systemworks and a Mcaffee suite. They both have firewalls that are awkward to configure and I find them a pain in the bum.

Ditto to Lior_S and this Finally line!! Oh yes, what is the make & model of the laptop? I am a curious sod.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Sixth, go to the Laptops support site and download EVERY driver for your laptop BEFORE you wipe the drive. Burn drivers to a CD so you will have a copy of them.
        Seventh, I kind of agree with you wiping the HDD. Depending on you laptop brand, you can get an awful lot of preinstalled software that can slow the machine down. My pet hates are Norton Systemworks and a Mcaffee suite. They both have firewalls that are awkward to configure and I find them a pain in the bum.

Ditto to Lior_S and this Finally line!! Oh yes, what is the make & model of the laptop? I am a curious sod.
        Thanks for the reply and ditto to Lior_S. It's an IBM/Lenovo T60.

Comment

You'll be fine. but since it is an IBM (a nice one too!) you should really consider reinstalling from the hidden partition. From what I recall there are a few utilities that can only be had from an original installation from IBM. If you are interested in them, you might want to at least try the hidden partition, if you don't like it, reinstall again.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            well first off, congrats on your first laptop.
            Second, it would help if you provided some more information on the model of this laptop.
            Third if the laptop has "a hidden partition containing software which will restore the machine" why don't you use that the reinstall the OS. (assuming it is XP....)
            Fourth, almost without exception, if your laptop is fairly new (< 3 yrs) Windows XP will have the driver for the Touchpad.
            Finally if it don't, come back here and we can show you how to install it
            It does ,apparently , have a hidden partiton - its called a "Thinkpad Rescue and Recovery" partiton. However , I'm a bit confused with the suggestion in your next sentence where you suggest using this hidden partition to re-install the OS. The reason I'm reluctant to do that is that I want to get rid of this hidden partiton altogether which I intend to do by using "Boot-It" - an App which can "see" hidden partitons.

I've already used Boot-It to make an image file of the laptop's drive as it existed when I received delivery - this image file presumably will also contain the hidden partition so that , if things go "pear-shaped " after a "wipe" of the drive and a re-installation using a spare XP Pro-SP2 install Disk with , say the Touchpad and the little "joystick" not working , then I would , hopefully , be able to get everything back to the "status quo ante" .

I'm not too worried about the inability to have the "Rescue and Recovery" available after a drive "wipe" as I'm pretty well "at ease" with a clean virginal XP Pro installation as I've performed these hard drive wipes many times on desktops but never before on a laptop .

The only worry I have here with a laptop is that there may be a problem afterwards with the operation of the synaptic pad and/or the little joystick pointing device.

Comment

You sound like you know what you are doing, go ahead take the plunge.
              FYI all the drivers for that machine are here in the rare chance that you need them.
              The hidden partition was merely a suggestion, if you do not want it then wipe it...

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                I have just received my first laptop in which I use the synaptic pointing device ( finger pad ) to navigate .

a clean install using an XP Pro-SP2 disk which I had purchased to install this OS on an old desktop PC which I no longer use.

Very imp question regarding to "Microsoft"s rules and regulations about legacy :-
                Did you install the disk on your old desktop machine and activated Windows ?
                Or the disk is seal packed ? You can install Original Windows XP only 2~3 times on various machines no matter its a laptop or desktop. So beware of this. For more info go through Microsoft's details page of "License agreement" .
                All in 1
                Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Originally posted by thenoo View Post
                  It does ,apparently , have a hidden partiton - its called a "Thinkpad Rescue and Recovery" partiton.

By any means it's not possible that your laptop has "Hidden" partition as you mentioned your laptop did not shipped with preloaded Windows. I am pretty sure you got "DOS" os with your laptop. So don't worry about that partition. It does not exist on your laptop. The hidden partition is only present in all laptops which are
                  Windows preloaded i.e. Preinstalled of Windows XP geniune by default. I hope you got my point !

Well you can create manually a hidden partition, but its not a easy process. I have IBM ThinkPad R50e which i bought without preloaded version of Windows XP.
                  All in 1

Comment

Originally posted by sco1984 View Post
                    ? You can install Original Windows XP only 2~3 times on various machines no matter its a laptop or desktop.

What a load of twaddle. Not correct at all!!
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Very imp question regarding to "Microsoft"s rules and regulations about legacy :-
                      Did you install the disk on your old desktop machine and activated Windows ?
                      Or the disk is seal packed ? You can install Original Windows XP only 2~3 times on various machines no matter its a laptop or desktop. So beware of this. For more info go through Microsoft's details page of "License agreement" .
                      Yes I did - I both installed it and activated it . The disk arrived in the mail after I had purchased it . The Activation proceeded without incident .

I intend to re-install it in this laptop as the original machine is no longer in existence .

I am expecting that , when I do install it on this new laptop , I will once more be required to activate it.

I am not anticipating any problems in so doing as this will be the only machine which will be using this issue of XP.

I have another XP Installation Disk which I also paid for and which has its own Installation Code and which has also been activated my MS when I installed it on my desktop machine.

In other words - two separate Installation Disks for two separate machines!

Comment

Thenoo, yes, if what you said about your copies of XP is true, then activating shouldn't be an issue. However, you may need to do it over the phone, depending on how recently it was installed on the previous hardware. (it will prompt you if you need to)
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                          you may need to do it over the phone, depending on how recently it was installed on the previous hardware. (it will prompt you if you need to)

EXACTLY ! I mean that only ! When you install it on 3~4 times on various machines, you can no longer activate Windows XP over the internet. It generates installation ID and get final code from Microsoft representative over the phone.
                          All in 1

Comment

EXACTLY ! I mean that only ! When you install it on 3~4 times on various machines, you can no longer activate Windows XP over the internet. It generates installation ID and get final code from Microsoft representative over the phone.
                            I sincerely hope you are uninstalling it on one machine before you install it on another? or do you have some strange limited volume license like the action pack, which allows you to install XP on 2 machines.

Tom
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,
                              He buys every month a new machine, and trow the old one away
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X