Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I deleted domain folder, now can't login.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I deleted domain folder, now can't login.

Yes, foolishly when cleaning up unused users, I deleted a directory c:\delltower, so now when I try to login I get the dreaded

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain <DomainName> is not available"

message. In my case, it is

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain Delltower is not available."

Win2000 Professional. I know the password.

Can I use my handy Knoppix Linux CD to boot in and make some crafty changes to get it working?

I cannot login in any way, safe mode, Domain Recovery Services Restore Mode, nothing. I'm willing to make changes via Knoppix 5.0 to the NTFS disk because I do not want to reinstall Win2000. Is it a registry thing? I just want to use this machine as a standalone computer now.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kitchin; 24th December 2006, 05:25.

Re: I deleted domain folder, now can't login.

"Domain folder" ?!? What's that? And how is related to the DC not being available?
    If you need to use the computer as stand alone, why don't you login locally? Meaning, using a local account, and not a domain account?
    Last edited by sorinso; 24th December 2006, 07:53.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "domain folder" can you explain. As suggested you should be able to login locally. Have you tried taking the computer off the domain then re-adding it ?

Comment

Thanks folks. There was a directory called c:\delltower. I deleted it. Now when I login, the computer thinks for a while and then pops up this message:

"The system cannot log you on now because the domain Delltower is not available."

I don't know anything about Win2000 domains, but I assume the computer played some network role in my friend's office (two computers), and so the problem is similar to others here about pulling a PC of a network. But in my case, I cannot login in any way.

Is there a way to login locally and skip the domain? I don't see any options for that.
        Last edited by kitchin; 24th December 2006, 14:25.

Comment

C:\Delltower is (normally) absolutely nothing to do with Windows or with AD Domains.

You can either (a) Return the machine to your mate's office and have his IT boys create you a local account so you can log in, or (b) wipe it and start again, or (c) Follow some of the "Forgot Admin Passwords" procedures on the forum of the same name here at petri.co.il.

When you log in, there should be a "third box" on the login screen (User Name, Password, and Domain)

Click on the "Domain" box and change it to something else and THEN see if you can log in.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            C:\Delltower is (normally) absolutely nothing to do with Windows or with AD Domains.

You can either (a) Return the machine to your mate's office and have his IT boys create you a local account so you can log in, or (b) wipe it and start again, or (c) Follow some of the "Forgot Admin Passwords" procedures on the forum of the same name here at petri.co.il.

When you log in, there should be a "third box" on the login screen (User Name, Password, and Domain)

Click on the "Domain" box and change it to something else and THEN see if you can log in.
            "DELLTOWER" is the name of the domain displayed in the error message. The directory had contained a bunch of stuff similiar to what you would see in a "Documents and Settings" subdirectory.

The office network is no longer.

There is no "Domain" box in the login. Win 2000 Professional.

I am using Knoppix and chntpw to mess around with it. If I knew how to disable domains in the registry, and turn this into a local machine, I would do that with chntpw's registry editor. Anyway... I am going to try this:
            http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml
            Last edited by kitchin; 24th December 2006, 16:47.

Comment

do you mean that you deleted the profiles folder?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I don't know. It was c:\delltower and it had in it the same kind of stuff you see in a user subdirectory of "Documents and Settings".

Comment

Some small progress.

Using John Simpson's trick, http://www.jms1.net/nt-unlock.shtml
                  I now have a Win2000 command prompt. But that's all! There are a bunch of *.msc files in system32, but no dsa.msc. Any suggestions for using mmc ?

By the way, for anyone else with this problem, I made John Simpson's registry edits using a Knoppix boot CD and chntpw.

Comment

compmgmt.msc ?
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

Stuck. Whatever account the trick puts me in, it doesn't have permission to run "mcc compmgmt.msc".

The computer is running very slowly and spends a lot of time looking for the network when it boots up. Whatever I did, deleting c:\delltower or something else, really slowed it down and made it dependent on the nonexistent network. There was a bit of disk repair on a recent bootup, so maybe a bit got set wrong. Before that it was running fine and fast as a local machine, no network. I cleaned it up one step too far!

Anybody know how to tell this thing to be a local machine? Preferably, I'd like to edit the registry or SAM or other file in systems32/config, since i have total control over those using Knoppix.

Comment

why not just reinstalling Windows. It will take much less time to do that.
                        maybe it helps if you recreate that folder. (maybe you already tried it, but i'm not sure)
                        Last edited by Dumber; 24th December 2006, 19:16.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands

Comment

Can you undelete/restore the folder?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by kitchin View Post
                            Anybody know how to tell this thing to be a local machine?
                            Yep, a reinstall will do it, and so long as you don't format anything, you won't lose data.

Originally posted by kitchin
                            Preferably, I'd like to edit the registry or SAM or other file in systems32/config, since i have total control over those using Knoppix.
                            No way. Putting the machine into a Domain edits thousands and thousands of registry entries, a lot of which you have no access to, knoppix or no knoppix, and a lot of which are encrypted (meaning that knoppix will show you simple gibberish).

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks folks. I think I have some install disks.

Comment

Working...
                              X