No announcement yet.

NTbackup problem, WinXP Pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTbackup problem, WinXP Pro

I am trying to schedule NTbackup in Windows XP Pro SP2 to run a daily scheduled job to a Sony firewire AIT tape drive.

I create the job using the backup wizard, and instead of hitting FINISH, I select ADVANCED and choose to schedule the job to run ever day. When I look in Scheduled Tasks, here is what the job looks like that was created:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.AMD2\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\daily2.bks" /n "Media created 12/23/2006 at 7:32 AM" /d "Set created 12/23/2006 at 7:35 AM" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hcff /m normal /j "daily2" /l:s /p "8mm AIT1"

When the job runs, it quits a few seconds after NTbackup starts, while NTbackup is displaying "loading media"

If I look in the event viewer, the error is "NTBackup error: 'Expecting more command line parameters.'"

If I run the job interactively from NTbackup it runs fine. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem? I notice in this later version of NTbackup there is no /UM switch anymore.

Last edited by RobW; 23rd December 2006, 13:50. Reason: spelling
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: NTbackup problem, WinXP Pro

I think I may have stumpled on the solution by accident. I through the /UM stitch on the end of my command string and the backup job ran from Scheduled Tasks.

Although /UM appears undocumented, obviously Microsoft left it in place from the Windows 2000 era.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: NTbackup problem, WinXP Pro

Thanks for sharing, Rob. Glad you got it sorted.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond