Help about mandatory profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help about mandatory profile

I like to have an account in Windows XP Pro that wouldn't save desktop settings (especially wallpaper).

I assign in Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer management-Local Users - Users - in Profile tab the location of profile, rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man but this didn't work. When I change the wallpaper it is saved in next log on!

Please help me.

Re: Help about mandatory profile

Have you tried the GPO / Local Computer Policy?

Under "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display" there are a number of options.

Enable "Prevent Changing Wallpaper" takes care of your specific request.

There are some other desktop settings in "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop" and "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\Active Desktop" (if you use Active Desktop)
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I have tried with GPO, but the problem is that some user can override this prevention and can change the wallpaper in other ways (directly from internet browsers, or from some image processing application, etc).

I think that only mandatory profile is the good solution but I cannot configure!

Thanx

Comment

IIRC a mandatory profile does not stop the user making changes, just stops the changes persisting at the next log-on

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree- Users have this thing about changing their desktop.

I am sure there are more policies that can help with this - as Tom pointed out Mandatory will not stop them changing their profile it just won't be saved. This can work to a degree- people get fed up with searching for stuff if it won't be there the next time they log on.

I recently pushed out a company image via GPO, enabled *prevent users from making changes* and so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Burim View Post
            I think that only mandatory profile is the good solution but I cannot configure!
            A mandatory profile will not prevent a user from changing anything, it will only discard the changes at logoff. (Like Tom and Simonsays said )
            I have tried with GPO, but the problem is that some user can override this prevention and can change the wallpaper in other ways (directly from internet browsers, or from some image processing application, etc).
            Not even an administrator can override GPO settings. Rvalstar listed the places to look for locking down the Desktop and these work if the policy is getting applied.

Maybe we should look at how you're applying the policies, we may see an error there.

Please provide details on:
            -What settings you configured
            -Where you linked the GPO
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have tried to use GPO, for example Local Computer\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display and I have configure "Prevent changing wallpaper" to be Enable. Also I configure "Hide desktop tab" to be Enabled.

When I try to go to Display Properties it is missing Desktop tab, or without "Hide desktop tab" configuration, there are disabled all options on the tab.

This is OK.

But did you try (after all this configuration) to find some images in PC, example JPG file, to right click there and to select "Set as Desktop Background"? What happened?

I am in trouble!

Bye

Comment

I have tried to use GPO, for example Local Computer\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Display and I have configure "Prevent changing wallpaper" to be Enable. Also I configure "Hide desktop tab" to be Enabled.
                This may be you problem. GPOs configured at the Site, Domain, and OU will override the local policy settings. Try creating a new GPO in Active Directory and link it to the OU containing the users you want it to affect.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I just logged on to our domain as a test user and although the option of *set as desktop image* was availible when right clicking a JPEG , it didn't do anything when I selected it.

Are you sure the GPO is being applied?

Comment

Sorry

I forget to tell you that I don't have domain and Active Directory. I mean about local computer without domain!

Comment

Sorry

I forget to tell you that I don't have domain and Active Directory. I mean about local computer without domain!
                      Any other vital information you would like to tell us about?
                      Do you have a server or is it a standalone PC?

Normal process (with no AD)
                      Copy user profile to server share
                      Point user at \\server\share\profilefolder in local machine
                      Rename .dat to .man
                      Set permissions on profile if needed

Tom
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Burim,

If the XP machine is running Professional, you can still achieve the same desktop settings as pointed out in this thread using gpedit.msc

Comment

Ossian, I'm sorry!

Ossian I use these configuration that you explain about mandatory profile, but the wallpaper however is saved when I log off with test user!

simonsyas, no, it is imposible in gpedit.msc to prevent wallpaper change. But it is possible to use Active Desktop. I put an images that is one color images like None background in Windows XP.

But and this is not perfect solution because the Mozilla Firefox has ability to change the background color and only background colors of icons is visible

So, please finally explain me again in detail to configure mandatory profile. Can I copy the profile in the same PC where will log in users.

Thank you.

Comment

Burim,

I have attached a screenshot from within gpedit.msc to show you how to prevent the desktop background from being changed on a standalone machine running XP Professional using gpedit.msc

*Enable Active desktop
                            *Enter the path of the desktop you want to use
                            *Prevent changes

Mandatory and roaming profiles are a client/server function and not availible for a standalone machine.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
                              Mandatory and roaming profiles are a client/server function and not availible for a standalone machine.
                              Sorry Simon but that's not true.

To make a mandatory user profile, all you have to do is rename ntuser.dat to ntuser.man and then specify the profile path in the user's properties. There's various things you can do with configuring and copying and making it available for multiple users to use but all of that can be found with a search.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...y+user+profile
                              Last edited by JeremyW; 23rd December 2006, 16:45. Reason: Lost my head...
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X