Windows 2000 Pro "accessed denied"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Pro "accessed denied"

Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home. I can access shared folder from XP box to the windows 2000 box. But going from the windows 2000 box I get "accessed denied" when I click on my XP box from network places. I have check all permission of file shares. I was able to add my printer from the XP box to the windows 2000 box. I have spent most of the day searching for a fix/solution.

Re: Windows 2000 Pro "accessed denied"

Do you have passwords set on the account(s)?
    Have you enabled Network Sharing?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

No passwords on the XP box. Passwords on win2000 box, I am making it a server. File sharing has been enable on the folders on the XP box.

Comment

You need to have password(s) on the account(s) on the XP box or it can't be accessed from the network. (this is by design) Configure the passwords and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the posts!
        Post back with any questions and let us know how you get on.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I put a password on my 1 acccount on my XP box and rebooted. Still be accessed d denied when I try to MAP to a folder from my win2000 box. When I
          MAP to a drive (USB) on my XP box I get network path not found. Both computers are on the same workgroup.
          Last edited by boomer123; 19th December 2006, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer123 View Post
            I put a password on my 1 acccount on my XP box and rebooted.
            Did you use a user that has the exact same username and password?

Still be accessed d denied when I try to MAP to a folder from my win2000 box.
            Did you select Connect using a different user name and if so did you enter it as COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME?

When I MAP to a drive (USB) on my XP box I get network path not found.
            Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you trying to share a USB drive over the network?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have a usb drive on my XP box. I share it on my network. Win2000 will not connect. I tried to connect to the drive from the win2000 box. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	462846

Everything from the XP box works no problems connecting to the win2000 box. Just can't connect from the win2000 box to my XP box.

I have attempted to map to the drive on my XP box and enter the appropriate username....still failed

Comment

Is the firewall enabled on the XP machine?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And, if so, is "File and Printer Sharing" checked as an Exception?
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Firewall is enabled and file sharing is checked. When I disable the firewall on the xp box I get the same result.

Comment

What anti-virus do you have running? Do you have ZoneAlarms installed?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have grisoft AVG 7.5 free version. No other software firewall installed

Comment

I highlighted in red things that have yet to be answered.
                          Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                          Originally posted by boomer123 View Post
                          I put a password on my 1 acccount on my XP box and rebooted.
                          Did you use a user that has the exact same username and password?

Still be accessed d denied when I try to MAP to a folder from my win2000 box.
                          Did you select Connect using a different user name and if so did you enter it as COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME?

When I MAP to a drive (USB) on my XP box I get network path not found.
                          Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you trying to share a USB drive over the network?
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes to both questions.

Comment

On the XP Home box, have you selected to allow network use of the folder concerned? I know there isn't the same functionality you have in XP Pro for sharing, but I'm pretty sure you have to tell it that this is a network available file.

Of course, you could go into Safe Mode With Networking and set the full permissions too...

Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                              X