Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to log on as Administrator

Hi there.

I'm hoping someone can help... I've gotten myself into a rather foolish situation.

Here's the issue:

I have an HP Workstation with Windows 2000 that was given to me a year ago. It did not come with the Win2k CD (lost, I think, by the friend that gave me the computer), but it's been a great machine.

Long story short, I have inadvertantly disabled interactive logon ability for the administrator account in the security policy settings while trying to remedy a minor driver issue (unrelated). I now receive the "The Local Policy of This System Does Not Permit You to Logon Interactively" error at logon. I can only log on as "guest".

I have tried several possible remedies with no success including every fix offered by Microsoft's support website that relates to this issue. For example, I tried using NTRIGHTS to reconfigure the local policy settings. I even tried connecting my workstation to another computer and using NTRIGHTS remotely by logging on as admin on the other computer, but the network connection is disabled for some reason on my workstation and I can't enable it unless I'm logged on as admin.

The problem with every fix I have tried is that I have to be logged on as an administrator!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to log on as Administrator

So you've tried http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276590 and it didn't work.

The "network connection is disabled" bit -- are you sure?

Can you ping the laptop, NET VIEW it, NET USE it?

You are in a WORKGROUP, not a DOMAIN, correct?

If so, make sure the Administrator password on that "other" machine matches the laptop (logoff / logon if you had to change it to match). That may allow you to do some more things successfully (including the NTRIGHTS bit).
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Looks like you need to sort out the admin password now so try this
      petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.

Go down to : Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (v060213 - February 2006)
      It has the abulity to re-activate accounts etc and may help you. Read the instructions first.
      This is a very powerful tool use caution!
      Last edited by AndyUK; 18th December 2006, 15:25. Reason: Additional info
      The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
      ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" gives me concern in that I seem to recall when searching for user comments a while back it appeared to hurt about as many machines as it helped.

So definitely take a Ghost (or equiv.) backup.

Also, will it be able to help if the Original Poster denied logon locally rights in the Local Computer's Security Policy?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

OK, you can't log on because you did a misconfiguration of the Local Group Policy, right?
          You should be able to follow these steps to get back in:
          1. Access the %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\machine directory either over the network (i.e. \\computername\c$\winnt\system32...etc) or by putting the drive in another computer or any method that allows you to modify file permissions.
          2. change the permissions on registry.pol to deny everyone read access
          3. Boot up normally and log in
          4. Go to the %systemroot%\System32\GroupPolicy\machine directory and change the permissions on registry.pol back
          5. Edit the local group policy to the correct settings.
          Last edited by JeremyW; 18th December 2006, 23:50. Reason: Forgot to specify the file...
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

That's a great idea.
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Hi JaBa, I hope I didn't confuse or frustrate you with my post. I forgot to add the file that you change the permissions on. I've updated my post so it should be OK now.
              Post back with any questions and let us know how you get on.
              Last edited by JeremyW; 23rd December 2006, 07:53. Reason: grammar
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                The "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" gives me concern in that I seem to recall when searching for user comments a while back it appeared to hurt about as many machines as it helped.

So definitely take a Ghost (or equiv.) backup.

Also, will it be able to help if the Original Poster denied logon locally rights in the Local Computer's Security Policy?

Good point rvalstar personally I have never had a problem with it but then its not something we use everyday. I think Jeremy's idea makes more sence, it would be much safer too
                The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
                ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X