Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't able to access

Hi all,

There are 10 pc connected to a LAN but i want to connect to my friend pc so i share his drive,we can ping to each other pc but when i connect through unc \\pr-john\c$,it give error message "Path not found"

Operating system --win xp.

can you pls help me to solve the problem.

Re: can't able to access

I'm guessing this is a workgroup scenario, if it is, can you see your friend's PC in 'My network Places'? if you can ping by IP address, have you tried tried browsing by IP address? do \\yourfriend'smachineIP address\c$ and tell us what happens. If you can browse by IP address, then it's a DNS issue.

Comment

Since you are accesssing an administrative share on the target machine, is it configured with a user account / password that
      a) Matches the one you are using on your PC
      b) Has local admin access on the target PC

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Right, but would it explain why he's getting the 'path not found error?'

Comment

Also, please note that A PASSWORD MUST BE CONFIGURED on the account if you are going to access the computer over the network.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by pdania View Post
            I'm guessing this is a workgroup scenario, if it is, can you see your friend's PC in 'My network Places'? if you can ping by IP address, have you tried tried browsing by IP address? do \\yourfriend'smachineIP address\c$ and tell us what happens. If you can browse by IP address, then it's a DNS issue.
            It also din't work with ip ad.

We can both do net meeting succesfully.

It give error message" network path not found" when i acces by ip ad or pc name.

The pc is connected to the internet.
            Last edited by SIRDON; 18th December 2006, 15:16.

Comment

The other two contributors are correct but you need to get to that stage first which I presume you haven't yet if you answer yes to this question:

Do you get presented with a login dialogue box when you do a unc?

If the answer is yes, then try accessing your PC from your friend's, have you tried that?

Which version of Windows XP have you got? Is it Home or Pro?
              Are all the machines on the network Newly installed?
              Are there any firewall apps running?

Comment

Does your friend's PC have the Windows Firewall running and, if so, is "File and Printer Sharing" checked as an exception?

And what exactly did you mean by?

Originally posted by SIRDON View Post
                The pc is connected to the internet.
                Is you friend's PC on your local network or are you trying to connect remotely over the internet?
                Last edited by rvalstar; 18th December 2006, 16:36. Reason: Added lines 2 onward
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

As i mention that in our building there are 10 pc connected and it is connected to internet.

Comment

SIRDON, there are several questions that have been posed to you that have yet to be answered. Please review the thread and answer all the questions.

You can also go through these KB articles and see if they help:
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

And back to my:

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                      Is you friend's PC on your local network or are you trying to connect remotely over the internet?
                      Your answer:

Originally posted by SIRDON View Post
                      As i mention that in our building there are 10 pc connected and it is connected to internet.
                      This did not specifically (for me, at least) answer where your friend's 11th PC was located in this situation, on your local network or across the internet somewhere.
                      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by pdania View Post
                        The other two contributors are correct but you need to get to that stage first which I presume you haven't yet if you answer yes to this question:

Do you get presented with a login dialogue box when you do a unc?

If the answer is yes, then try accessing your PC from your friend's, have you tried that?

Which version of Windows XP have you got? Is it Home or Pro?
                        Are all the machines on the network Newly installed?
                        Are there any firewall apps running?

1)i tried to access the pc from my frd pc.

2)win xp pro

3)no.

4)firewall disabled.

5)when i unc it din't ask for the username and pass.

6)file and printing is check as an exception.

7)friend pc is on local network.
                        Last edited by SIRDON; 20th December 2006, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
                          And back to my:

Your answer:

This did not specifically (for me, at least) answer where your friend's 11th PC was located in this situation, on your local network or across the internet somewhere.
                          It is located on local network

Comment

So back to basics:

You are trying to map \\pr-john\c$ to \\WSn as some drive letter ("L:")

From \\WSn, you get "network path not found"

Are we trying this with the "Administrator" account and does Administrator have the same password on both boxes (for testing)?

On WSn, logged on as Administrator, in a CMD box:
                            You can ping pr-john?

You can NET VIEW \\pr-john?

You can NET VIEW w.y.y.z -- the IP from the ping?

On pr-john, logged on as Administrator, in a CMD box:
                            You do a NET SHARE and you see C$?

Verify you have "Use simple file sharing" turned off in Explorer "Tools\Folder Options\View\Advance Settings" -- scroll down to bottom.

Right click on C: and select "Sharing and Security". Examine the Permissions and make sure "Everyone" has the desired privs.

On the NIC in Network Connections, you verify "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" are both checked for \\pr-john?

The MS firewall is disabled on both machines and/or, "File and Printer Sharing" exception is checked?

No other firewall software (part of an AV suite or ???) is active?

You can NetMeeting between both machines by name, not IP?

And on WSn, you execute NET USE L: \\pr-john\c$ and you get ???

I'm hoping somewhere is this dump, we find something that doesn't work before the "NET USE L:"
                            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X