X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bios Update Erased Password

Help in recovering BIOS pwd on WinXP SP2 floppyless laptop
    i have a acer 1670 laptop just flashed the bios with update from phoenix. v4 RELEASE 6.1 and now i cannot access the bios or even boot from floppy it appears that the updated bios has erased all passwords and set system to boot from hard disk only, apart from this all else works ok. acer support want money that i can't really afford, i have a few boot disks(LINKS FROM THIS SITE) but they are US as boot order cannot be changed appreicate any suggstions that you might give thanks, have tried usuall F2 F8 F12 but nothing works i have admin rites not on network

Re: Bios Update Erased Password

What passwords in particular? Ones in a Windows operating system. Understanding BIOS updates fairly well (I've written a BIOS and BDOS or two in my day), I find that highly unlikely. Please elaborate.

ACER dos not write their own BIOS so I'm sure you can set the boot options to boot from different sources (floppy, cdrom, hard disk). We may need to reset the CMOS to get that to happen.

Please provide a link to the ACER page where you downloaded your update and I'd be more than happy to help.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Let me restate what I said on your cross-post / hijack:

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      Cross / double posting / hijacking an old thread is definitely not going to get you on the boss' good side. I suggest you throw yourself on your sword now, and apologize like there is no tomorrow.

I used to think the wrath was a bit harsh but the rules are clear and there is nothing more annoying than trying to help someone on the same topic twice. Think of the time we spend trying to help you. If you make double work for us, I (for one) really don't want to get involved.

So 1) search the forums before posting; 2) pick the correct forum; 3) title your thread correctly; 4) give us enough info to help (do the obvious detective work up front -- if you were trying to answer this query, would you have enough info); 5) appreciate the effort we put into this; 6) (SB #1) search the web (Google or ???) first; 7) tell us the outcome of your trials; and give some rep pts (yin/yang symbol) to whomever helped you.

That's all we're asking.

Good luck on eating crow for the double post.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Agree with Rick. User banned for 2 weeks, come back ONLY if you can read AND follow our very simple forum rules.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X