Can't access a share

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access a share

This concerns a LAN in which all machines are XP Pro SP-2 and in the Windows Workgroup. I have shared a folder on Machine A, and granted full control to Everyone. From Machine B, I can see, but cannot access the share. When I try, I receive the standard message that \\Machine A\<SharedFolder> is not accessible, you might not have permission, etc. This may be something simple that I overlooked, and I'm not a network admin by any means. Windows Firewall is off on both machines. McAfee is set to allow sharing. Windows Defender is not installed. I have checked local security policy on Machine A and nothing seems to prevent the share. The event logs don't show anything that relates to my attempts to access the share. From Machine B, I can access identical shares on other machines in the Worgroup. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    JimmyW

Re: Can't access a share

On machine A do you have a local account with the same name and password as that on Machine B and can that account access the files in the location you have mapped to this share?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks very much, Rick. Yes, I have the same user account/password combination set up on each machine. For example, Joe is a Limited User on both machines, and his password is the same on each. Joe may not be logged on to Machine B, but, when trying to access the share on Machine A, I should be presented with the Windows username/password box. If I'm logged on to Machine B as Jimmy, and try to open \\Machine A\<SharedFolder>, the logon box should appear, and I should be able to type Joe and <password> and gain access. I can do that with the other machines in Workgroup. Joe/password exists on every machine in Workgroup. I can't do that with problem Machine A, even though I tried to make the rights to the share as broad as possible, e.g., Everyone has full control. I even went further and specifically gave full control to Joe. What I have not tried, is to log on to Machine B as Joe, and then try to access the share on Machine A, although that wouldn't be practical and shouldn't be necessary, I think.
      JimmyW

Comment

What are the NTFS permissions on the shared folder?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          What are the NTFS permissions on the shared folder?
          Exactly. Can Joe logon to MachineA and navigate to ?:\...\whereever-the-files-for-that-share-are and open the files? Not \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> but the physical location on MachineA that you have shared as <SharedFolder>

That should fix the issue.

SJW:

Reading through your "Windows username/password box" scenario, here are my 2 euro cents:

In a workgroup scenario, if you have local Joe and Jimmy accounts on both MachineA and MachineB with the same password for a given account on each box and you try to access \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> from MachineA or MachineB then by default you will authenticate as the logged on user and not have to provide a password.

If the password for, say, Joe is different on the two boxes and you try to open a share on A from B logged on to B as Joe, then you will see a dialog box. This is also true if the local account does not exist on the target box.

If you want Jimmy on MachineB to map to \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> as Joe, you'll need to do a "Tools\Map Network Drive\Connect using a different user name" in Explorer or the equivalent NET USE command.

Hope I read you correctly and that this makes some sense.

Otherwise, my apologies.

Oh, and verify you have "Use simple file sharing" turned off in Explorer "Tools\Folder Options\View\Advance Settings" -- scroll down to bottom.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            Exactly. Can Joe logon to MachineA and navigate to ?:\...\whereever-the-files-for-that-share-are and open the files? Not \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> but the physical location on MachineA that you have shared as <SharedFolder>
            Thanks, Rick and Tom. Joe, has full control and every available permission for the shared folder on Machine A. Joe is a limited user on Machine A, and he can log on to A and access the actual folder tree that is shared. For example, Joe can open the folder and create, delete, edit, etc. Turning off simple file sharing was the first thing I did, whcih also enabled me to set the permission and access rights. Joe also is a limited user on Machine B.

In a workgroup scenario, if you have local Joe and Jimmy accounts on both MachineA and MachineB with the same password for a given account on each box and you try to access \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> from MachineA or MachineB then by default you will authenticate as the logged on user and not have to provide a password.
            I agree. Joe is a user on both machines and has the same password on each. Jimmy is a user on only Machine B. If Joe were logged on to Machine B and tried to access \\Machine A\<SharedFolder>, Joe should authenticate automatically, as you described. I have not tried that.

If the password for, say, Joe is different on the two boxes and you try to open a share on A from B logged on to B as Joe, then you will see a dialog box. This is also true if the local account does not exist on the target box.
            My situation is similar. Jimmy is logged on to B and is not an account on A. So, if Jimmy, on B, tries to access \\A\<SharedFolder>, the dialog box should open. Instead, the originaly describe error message appears, and this is really the crux of the problem. Ten other machines in workgroup have Joe as an account and none have Jimmy. Jimmy can log on from B to the shares on the ten other machines, just not B. I have not tried to map \\MachineA\<SharedFolder> to Machine B and see if I can do so as Joe, but I wouldn't think it necessary under the scenario. To make things more confusing, Joe, on A, can access shares on B.

Thanks again!
            JimmyW

Comment

I'm taking it we really haven't solved your problem?

So Jimmy on B and not on A doesn't see a dialog when trying to connect to A -- is that the crux of the issue?

Does Jimmy on B have anything under "Manage my network passwords" in "Control Panel\User Accounts\Jimmy" -- I believe you must be logged on B as Jimmy for that pick to show?

And if you do try to map the drive using the "Connect using a different user name" bit, does it work? Regardless of whether we think you should need to do this, it's always good to know what does work vs. what should work.

Anxiously awaiting your testing and reply...
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Thanks again, Rick.
                So Jimmy on B and not on A doesn't see a dialog when trying to connect to A -- is that the crux of the issue?
                Yes. Jimmy, the logged on user on B, does not see the dialog when trying to access the share on A; only the error message appears. At the time, Joe is logged on to B.
                Does Jimmy on B have anything under "Manage my network passwords" in "Control Panel\User Accounts\Jimmy"
                I haven't checked this, but will do so tomorrow, as I can't get back to the machine until then.

And if you do try to map the drive using the "Connect using a different user name" bit, does it work? Regardless of whether we think you should need to do this, it's always good to know what does work vs. what should work. Anxiously awaiting your testing and reply...
                Good idea. As you said, we should try this to rule things in or out. I'll test this tomorrow, too, and write back tomorrow afternoon, GMT-700. Thanks again for your help and time!
                JimmyW

Comment

Hi, Rick. I followed your advice, and it solved the problem!

Does Jimmy on B have anything under "Manage my network passwords" in "Control Panel\User Accounts\Jimmy" -- I believe you must be logged on B as Jimmy for that pick to show?
                  The only items here are a few web site accounts and two unrelated computers.

And if you do try to map the drive using the "Connect using a different user name" bit, does it work?
                  This worked! User Jimmy on B mapped the share on A, by "Connect using a different name," which was Joe/password. While I had the share mapped, I was able to access it through Explorer, which I had tried to do at first. Then, I unmapped the share. I was then able to access the share in Explorer normally.

So, while all is well, I'm a little confused. Perhaps the answer doesn't matter, but why did I first have to map the share as a volume on Machine B, before I could access the share through Explorer? Thanks, and I appreciate your hekp very much!
                  JimmyW

Comment

Glad it worked out.

I don't know how often you logoff MachineB or what else MachineB may access on MachineA. Possibly you had another mapping to MachineA as a different user without realizing it? Once you authenticate on a box, you get that authentication by default for future resources.

You can do a "NET USE" from a CMD box on MachineB to see if you have any other shares (printer or file) on MachineA.

Probably should have had you look at "Computer Management\System Tools\Shared Folders\Sessions" on MachineA to see what user was associated w/ MachineB.

If it ever starts acting up again...
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X