Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logouts Automatically-W2k

Hi,
    My computer log outs me after entering username and password. It logs off immediately before loading user interface. It happened after I deleted a registery key by mistake. How to solve this. Please help me.

I'm using windows 2000 SP2

Thank you
    Rajesh

Re: Logouts Automatically-W2k

What reg key was it and have you tried other accounts with the same result?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I actually don't know what reg key i delete. I have 3 user accounts including administrator and each does same.

Comment

Do you have a backup of the System State?
        Did you make a backup of the registry before you deleted the key?
        Are you able to log on in Safe Mode?
        As a last resort you can try and use the Last Known Good but if the system see your attempt to log on as a successful login then it won't work.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by rajeshbhattarai View Post
          I actually don't know what reg key i delete. I have 3 user accounts including administrator and each does same.
          Reason number 103 to
          • Make Backups
          • Document Changes
          • Think before acting

As per Biggles post -- can you get in in safe mode (Last Known Good might work but since you have logged on, it shouldnt). If not, and you dont know the reg key, you may be at repair/reinstall level

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            As per Biggles post
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Apologies, Jeremy -- as per your post

I was having a very off moment
              Will this make it better?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So the thing I've seen cause this in the past has been when you rearrange your disks / partitions / disk signatures and what was the C: drive morphs into a different drive letter. This would entail any sort of Ghost (or equiv) recovery to a different partition or messing with anything under the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices] key. Other spots in the registry will cause the system to look for stuff on C: at logon and when it can't find it, it does the automatic logoff bit.

Is this ringing a bell? If so, let me know and I may have some ways to fix this as long as you can mount the disk as a slave in another machine so we can edit that registry.

Otherwise, assuming inadequate backups, you're looking at a repair opportunity here. Information on "repair" (not the "repair console") is well documented on this site.
                Last edited by rvalstar; 15th December 2006, 11:11.
                Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Dear all,
                  Thanks a lot.

I would like to make you all clear following:
                  ----------------------
                  . I've already tried login into safe mode, resulted the same

. I've already tried "Last known good configuratio........" resulated same.

. I've already tried installation on repair mode, resulted the same

. The mounted device previous was also 14.3 GB C: now also same.

If it is possible to repair registery making this drive slave on any other system. It may work. But I don't know where does this evil login/logout registery key is located. I don't know how to browse it in slave....

Please help me out.
                  Rajesh

Comment

If the Remote registry service is running, you may be able to edit the server registry from another machine with the "Connect Network Registry" menu item. May not work depending on how hosed the server is.

I'd also try using Computer Management remotely and seeing what Disk Management says about your drives / partitions, and drive letters.

Have you tried to run EventVwr remotely and see what red exists there?

When you tried "installation on repair mode" what exactly did you do and what happened? Did it find the existing windows install on the correct drive letter?

Back to how one would edit the registry by mounting the drive on another machine:

You will use the "Load Hive" feature in RegEdit. Search the web a bit to read up on how this works:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...22load+hive%22

or

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22load+hive%22

You may want to try something like BartPE to boot a bare bones windows environment from CD and do the registry edit without opening your case. I have not used BartPE so I cannot comment on its capabilities.

Good luck
                    Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Tried BartPE, Hive and other trick though can't fix..... Experienced so many new things. Finally formatted.
                      Thanks for all dude.

Comment

Thats why i only have 3 little words

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Comment

And I'll add my three words:

TEST THE BACKUP

EDIT -- P.S., Sorry it didn't work out and hope you didn't lose anything of importance. Also looks like you got one heck of an education in the process. Hopefully you are better for the experience.
                          Last edited by rvalstar; 3rd January 2007, 21:50.
                          Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I had this issue with few computers at work. Not that someone dealt with the Registry directly (like in this case), but sequential failures did the damage. In my case, nothing helped, but fresh new installation. Our team didn't spend to much time on it though, there was nothing important on the station anyway (our users' files are on the server).
                            Anyway, I would recommend ERD Commander. It has some great tools that, after it connects from outside to your dead system, it can give you access to the filesystem, registry, event viewers and even SAM (to change passwords to locked users). Although I don't think it will help, if you don't know what went wrong in the registry.
                            Good luck.

Edited: Ooooops! I'm old news already?
                            Sorry ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X