Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 6 - File Download Blocked

Hi all,

I have an issue where by when a file is accessed on a website it attempts to open the file for downloading, this action is blocked and I get the 'Information Bar' popup along the top telling me what it has done.

I know that this is because within IE Tools > Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > 'Automatic Prompting for Downloads' is disabled.

My problem is that there is a policy in place on the system that must disable this by default, and users do not have the permission to be able to access the IE tools menu. Is there a way to get round this or is this something we will need to change in our policy?

Thanks

Re: IE 6 - File Download Blocked

Originally posted by UKG View Post
    My problem is that there is a policy in place on the system that must disable this by default, and users do not have the permission to be able to access the IE tools menu. Is there a way to get round this or is this something we will need to change in our policy?
    Um.... I'm not sure I understand what you're asking... do you want users to be able to enable/disable Automatic Prompting for Downloads regardless of the (group) policy?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Domain or Workgroup?
      What OS?

If you have a domain/ou policy blocking IE configuration, you will need to change the policy to either:
      allow user changes
      or enable the setting

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi guy's,

Yes, Domain, 2K3 servers, XP clients. I just wondered if there may be another way of getting round it without changing group policy wide. Looks like we'll have to look into changing it.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by UKG View Post
          I just wondered if there may be another way of getting round it without changing group policy wide.
          You do know there's ways of applying group policy to a specific user(s) and/or computer(s) or group(s) of users and/or computers, right?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, thanks.

Comment

OK, here's another one, how about if said user(s) are removed to a no policy group within AD, IE changes are made, and user(s) are then moved back to normal AD group, would the changes that were made remain, or revert back again?

Thanks

Comment

Are you talking about group policy filtering? (because that's the only way groups affect group policy)

But at any rate, no, they will apply the settings at the next policy refresh.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The GPO will overide any settings made once the user/computer is dropped back in to the container.

Comment

Working...
                  X