No announcement yet.

C:\Documents and settings\PROFILE\Desktop\Desktop\□\Folder is not accessable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C:\Documents and settings\PROFILE\Desktop\Desktop\□\Folder is not accessable

This happens when one of my users is trying to access a folder on a network share. (i.e. her H: which is her Home folder)

C:\Documents and settings\PROFILE\Desktop\Desktop\□\FOLDER is not accessable

It's kind of hard to look this up on the net since the weird □ thingy, usually representing null is in the error message and Google doesn't like that. And whats up with the \Desktop\Desktop\? Why are there two desktops there?

I'm thinking it has something to do with Explorer and the network share since H:\ is actually "located on the desktop" if you open a Explorer window. Attached an image of the error message.
    Attached Files
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: C:\Documents and settings\PROFILE\Desktop\Desktop\□\Folder is not accessable

Have you tried making a new shortcut to H:\ on the desktop?
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: C:\Documents and settings\PROFILE\Desktop\Desktop\□\Folder is not accessable

Those weird characters are usually generated by spyware that forces the creation of illegal characters making harder to remove. In your case it worked. Time for a sweep.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Have a look at this thread http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11615
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X