Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest With Authentication

Hi all,

I have a serious problem that i wasn't anticipating.
    I have 1 Pc outside a Domain (pc-A), there are 2 Shares on that pc.
    1 share - is intended for a specific users that have a user acounts with passwords
    on that pc-A.
    2 share - is for everyone (guests)

all the peaple that access that pc use thier domain accounts.
    Before i enabled the Guest acount the users of the "1 share" had to type
    a username and password to enter the share.

After i enabled the guest user, they DO NOT GET THE CHANCE to enter the username and password , but get an Access Denied right away!
    I guess this is because the computer loged them on with the Guest account.

How can i force the pc-A to ask for authentication everyone who attemps to access
    "1 Share" ????

Please Help !! Very Urgent !!!!

Re: Guest With Authentication ! HELP !

Once a workstation outside the domain authenticates on a server, that authentication is used for all shares / resources on that server. Is it possible users are authenticating as Guest on share #2 then trying to access share #1 (as Guest)? That would explain this behavior.
    Last edited by rvalstar; 11th December 2006, 22:29. Reason: workstation vs. user
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
      Once a workstation outside the domain authenticates on a server, that authentication is used for all shares / resources on that server. Is it possible users are authenticating as Guest on share #2 then trying to access share #1 (as Guest)? That would explain this behavior.
      Yes well of course this is the reason, the question is can i somehow force
      every "guest" user that access Share-1 to re-authenticate????

How can it be that i have a valid user on Pc-A BUT I can't use it to access a Share
      i have permission to, becasue the guest account is enabled??!!
      (i must log on from the domain account and cant create the same Pc-A account
      on the domain machine...)

HELP PLEASE ! (if possible...)

Comment

I've removed the ! HELP ! from you're topic title. Please read the forum rules.

Edit: Moved to Windows 2000/XP.
        Last edited by Dumber; 11th December 2006, 23:21.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

What if you have Share #2a and #2b both mapped to the same spot. Enumerated users that connect to Share#1 will connect to Share #2a where their user names / groups are permitted (no Guest). Guest users come in through Share #2b -- same place but only Guests are permitted ???
          Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
            What if you have Share #2a and #2b both mapped to the same spot. Enumerated users that connect to Share#1 will connect to Share #2a where their user names / groups are permitted (no Guest). Guest users come in through Share #2b -- same place but only Guests are permitted ???

Maybe i dont fully understand you, but How will pc-a knows who are the users
            that connect to share#2a ?

Thank you.

Comment

Re: Guest With Authentication

I'm a scripting kind so I'd probably test the username in a logon script and if the "guest" account, map to 2b else map to 1 and 2a.
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X