Can't print from Internet Explorer 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't print from Internet Explorer 6

I have a Windows XP SP2 computer where the person uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 after running Windows Update. She had problems and unistalled Interent Explorer. Now when she hits the print button in Internet Explorer 6, nothing happens.

If she goes to the FILE drop-down and selects PRINT, nothing happens. The same problem is occuring in Microsoft Outlook 2002 - no ability to print.

If she opens any other application like Microsoft Word, everything works fine - the print button, the print dropdown are fine in these applications.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I did a system restore to a point before the Windows Update but this did not help.

Thanks.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Can't print from Internet Explorer 6

Have you tried using the Repair option in both apps? Or even reinstall IE6?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had planned to do the 'detect and repair' in Outlook, and even uninstall and reinstall the printer. How do I do a repair on IE 6?

Thanks

Comment

Reinstall IE6. From memory you should get 3 options, Install, Repair and Remove.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have never heard of an install / uninstall feature for IE 6 in XP. To the best of my knowledge, it is an integral part of the o/s. Incidently, I have XP SP2 so you can't even reinstall IE 6 SP1.

Please bring me up to date in case I have been missing something all along

Comment

Looks like you need to reinstall XP sp2
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

As I suspected, and the link you posted confirms this, you can't uninstall, reinstall or modify IE 6 in XP SP2 - it is a part of the operating system.

You can run SFC and you can reinstall XP SP2 so it seems my options are limited. Thanks.

Comment

I'm sure I reinstalled IE6 on an XP (SP2) machine a few weeks ago. I will try it on my test machine later today and post back.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

UPDATE:

Just got back from the customer's site. Microsoft Outlook 2003 will not print HTML e-mail, only text e-mail.

Internet Explorer 6 will not print anything. You hit the print button and no printer window or print dialog.

Ran Outlook detect and repair. Ran System File Checker. No change.

Althought the web browser works, cannot download from Microsoft. If I do Microsoft Updates, after detecting (and validating), I select 'install updates' and the system sits at 'downloading and installing updates'. I opened up the LAN connection and there is no packet movement.

I went to the Windows download site and downloaded Internet Explore 7. This downloaded a small file that I placed on the desktop and launched. After launcing, acepting the agreement, etc the download window opened and it indicated it was downloading, but there was no traffic and nothing downloaded after 15 minutes.

I know a repair install is next in order unless someone else has some suggestions for me.

TIA

Comment

Have you considered going forward w/ a reinstall of IE7 and see if the printing problems go away?

Then you could address whatever your client's original probs were w/ IE7.

Just a thought...
                    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Yes, and that is what I did by downloading the IE7 load program, however, it will not download from Microsoft.

Is there a way to download the full IE7 to my workstation and burn it to CD? That would not affect the validation.

Comment

http://switch.atdmt.com/action/IE_7_Windows_XP_SP2_B

It's 14.8 MB so may be a full install?
                        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

You can also download it from Microsoft
                          http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The link I gave was from the link on that page. Funny how, being in Italy, I get a non-MS site.
                            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Ah, that's interesting.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X