Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making Win2k or WinXP pro as the O.S. on a file Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Win2k or WinXP pro as the O.S. on a file Server?

I don't want to buy Win2k Server or Windows 2003 server software as it is more expensive as well as needing to buy server client licenses.

So my network will run with 5 clients (xp pro) and connect to a file server. Do you guys suggest installing winxp pro or win2k as the O.S. on the file server?

At what point do you suggest actually having a real server o.s. installed rather than xp or win2k on the server? 10 clients, 20 clients, other reasons?

Windows XP or W2K Pro are both client oss. Both are limited to 10 user sessions. The decision on which one to run will depend mostly on your hardware configuration, but both are suitable for that purpose. The moment you have more than 10 concurrent users, the moment you want to switch from the Workgroup model to a Domain management model, or when the time comes where you'd like to run server related services such as Exchange and so on, you'll need to buy and install a dedicated server.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Making Win2k or WinXP pro as the O.S. on a file Server?

Originally posted by cmec
      I don't want to buy Win2k Server or Windows 2003 server software as it is more expensive as well as needing to buy server client licenses.

So my network will run with 5 clients (xp pro) and connect to a file server. Do you guys suggest installing winxp pro or win2k as the O.S. on the file server?

At what point do you suggest actually having a real server o.s. installed rather than xp or win2k on the server? 10 clients, 20 clients, other reasons?
      To my knowledge the only way around the 10 user limitation is to use a non-IIS web server to share the files. MS provides its open source Cassini Web Server which doesn't have the 10 user limitation. This is of course not as eloquent a solution as would be sharing the actual file system but for someone who can't get off their wallet long enough to buy the server OS it will work. Otherwise as Daniel suggested, if you plan on ever growing the use of XP will limit you and you should probably look at other options such as a dedicated server.
      Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X