installing Win2000 over WinXP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing Win2000 over WinXP

We have a office computer that has WinXP on it and we need to install Win2000 in order to run some new software that is not compatible with WinXP. This computer has many files, mainly spreadsheets, that need to be saved. There is no burner, and no network that I can transfer the files over to and do a clean install of Win2000.

How can I install 2000 on a XP computer without losing any of the important files?

Thanks for the help!

I would assume that your hard drive has more than one partition, right?

Anyway, you can take a very quick and not so complicated action. Move everything into your 'My Documents' (I assume that's where you keep your spreadsheets, etc), and then redirect it (right click -> properties -> move) to that second partition. Reinstall, and format that 1st partition with Windows 2000, and as soon as you can point 'My Documents' to that folder residing on your second partition.

Note: BE CAREFUL YOU ARE NOT OVERWRITING YOUR FILES WHEN YOU REDIRECT YOUR 'MY DOCUMENTS' !!!

Now, as a habit I redirect 'My Documents' ALL the time, because in case I have format the 1st main system partition, my 'My Document's won't be affect because its already residing on that second partition.

If you DON'T have a second partition, and you can't come up with ANY way to backup your, then I hope you're a religious person, because only GOD will be able to help you with recovering your data

Sagemind Solutions - Web Hosting Provider
    Fast, Reliable, Hosting Services

Comment

If you DON'T have a second partition, and you can't come up with ANY way to backup your, then I hope you're a religious person, because only GOD will be able to help you with recovering your data
      sorry for the late reply, but NOPE can't help you with that

Comment

If you don't have a second partition you can either install a CD burner and backup your data onto CD or purchase a small inexpensive (40GB) hard drive and install Win2K onto the new HDD.

How do you backup your valuable data?
        Lastly, have you tried using Compatibility Mode in XP?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X