Disc Cleanup for Win2K slower than XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Cleanup for Win2K slower than XP

Hi, I just have a general question about Disc Cleanup. I am just wondering why it is so much slower in Windows 2000 Pro than it is with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes it can take hours for Windows 2000 whereas it will take about 5~10 minutes with XP Pro. Any ideas? Does XP Pro use a better algorithm to clean up?

Re: Disc Cleanup for Win2K slower than XP

Perhaps it uses a better algorithm... I never read anything on it. But I will say that there is several factors to take into account like:
    -Amount of files
    -Size of files
    -HDD speed
    -Programs/services running
    -processor speed
    -memory amount/speed
    ... to name a few.
    Are we comparing apples to apples?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hmm, well I have a user who uses a P4 @ ~3GHz and at least 1GB RAM and it took a while. More than an hour? I did notice that disc cleanup was way faster on XP Pro with PC's with the same exact hardware and software as WIN2K Pro for the most part. Not a huge issue, just curiosity.

Comment

Fair enough. We'll see if others chime in with their thoughts.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hmmmm...
          Some shots in the dark:
          - can the file system be a factor? Like FAT32 vs. NTFS?
          - can a service like Indexing for instance assist XP doing the same job faster?

And a general question: how did you reached the conclusion that XP works faster than Win2000? Using two different machines, maybe? If so, are the machines identical in configuration (except, of course, the OS )? How can you compare performance?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I might have to test this, always wanting to learn new things.

Seems pretty interesting.

If anybody has done this, please tell
            I would like to know.

--Kris--

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Hmmmm...
              Some shots in the dark:
              - can the file system be a factor? Like FAT32 vs. NTFS?
              - can a service like Indexing for instance assist XP doing the same job faster?

And a general question: how did you reached the conclusion that XP works faster than Win2000? Using two different machines, maybe? If so, are the machines identical in configuration (except, of course, the OS )? How can you compare performance?
              1. It is my understanding that the file system on both machines are NTFS
              2. Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with indexing.
              3. Yes, I've used different machines with comparable, if not equal hardware specifications.
              4. As far as comparing the performace, I just took a rough estimate of how long it took by looking at the time.

Does anyone else have access to Win2K and WinXP? Could they also try and see if they can replicate the same results? Maybe I'm leaving out something important?

Comment

Working...
              X