Re-installing Windows XP MCE On Laptop Using Provided Serial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-installing Windows XP MCE On Laptop Using Provided Serial

I bought an Acer Aspire 5102 laptop recently and I would like to reinstall the OS. It was preloaded with XP MCE but did not come with an MCE CD so I have tried to use a copy from the net with my legitimate serial but this will not work.

Do Acer use brand-specific serials because I have tried loads of disks but cannot get the serial recognised. The serial is on a label on the bottom of the machine and stipulates that is is MCE 2005.

Strangely, when I retrieve the serial using Magic Jelly Bean, the serial it gets is different from the one on the sticker I used another serial-recovery tool and it confirmed the serial is different.

So, can anybody help? I need to reinstall XP but cannot find a CD that will accept my serial. Surely you pay for the license rather than the media, so I should be able to use any copy of XP with my valid serial to install it?

Re: Re-installing Windows XP MCE On Laptop Using Provided Serial

I am afraid there is no way around this. If the laptop came with no CD, it should have had a recovery partition on it.
    If you want a retail version of MCE, you need to purchase it from your chosen Software supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBenson View Post
      I bought an Acer Aspire 5102 laptop recently and I would like to reinstall the OS. It was preloaded with XP MCE but did not come with an MCE CD so I have tried to use a copy from the net with my legitimate serial but this will not work.

Do Acer use brand-specific serials because I have tried loads of disks but cannot get the serial recognised. The serial is on a label on the bottom of the machine and stipulates that is is MCE 2005.

Strangely, when I retrieve the serial using Magic Jelly Bean, the serial it gets is different from the one on the sticker I used another serial-recovery tool and it confirmed the serial is different.

So, can anybody help? I need to reinstall XP but cannot find a CD that will accept my serial. Surely you pay for the license rather than the media, so I should be able to use any copy of XP with my valid serial to install it?
      Yes, you pay for the license (and in some cases a small fee for the media i.e. Dell you can pay $10 to get the media, open license is somewhere around $30 IIRC) but the keys are associated with the various versions of MCE (e.g. OEM, Full, etc). I'm not too versed on how the keys work. It may be that for the retail and OEM version each one gets a specific key, I don't know.

You may want to contact your vendor or Acer and see if you can purchase the media from them. The should be able to give you the media that will work with your key.

HTH.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I don't want to get into any legal hot water, but my understanding is that I have paid a sum in the total of my laptop for the operating system and I should be able to install it freely without any rubbish being installed by the manufacturer (which is what using the recovery partition will do).

I may have found a solution, I have changed the SETUPP.INI file in the I386 installation folder to read the same PID as the one stored on the Acer-installed partition, but appended the last 3 digits (which were originally 000) with OEM to allow OEM serial's to be used.

The serial is now accepted, I just need to test Windows Update and the activation wizard...

Comment

Yes, there are different keys for OEM vs. Retail. Mind you, I have no idea if your INI edit trick will work DJBenson, but hey, it's worth a shot.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well all is well, I'm posting this from my laptop from within XP MCE after using the CD I'd altered the PID on. Windows activated with no trouble and is currently downloading from the WindowsUpdate site.

All's well that end's well etc.

Comment

Working...
            X