Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FTP option to play file instead of download?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP option to play file instead of download?

Is there an option with XP FTP to 'run file from current location' instead of downloading the entire file before being able to view?
    Last edited by flunky; 27th November 2006, 20:00.

Re: FTP option to play file instead of download?

How do you propose to "play" the file, without downloading the contents of it into memory?!

Even when the file is on your own hard disk, it has to be "downloaded" from the disk into memory for a program to act upon it, or "play" it... same with files on the internet.

Even when Internet Explorer appears to play a file directly, it's simply downloading it quicker than you can tell, and buffering what it hasn't played yet...

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: FTP option to play file instead of download?

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      How do you propose to "play" the file, without downloading the contents of it into memory?!

Even when the file is on your own hard disk, it has to be "downloaded" from the disk into memory for a program to act upon it, or "play" it... same with files on the internet.

Even when Internet Explorer appears to play a file directly, it's simply downloading it quicker than you can tell, and buffering what it hasn't played yet...
      I thought there might be a way to do it but I guess I am wrong. My wife is a combat medic in Iraq and she can't view videos on my ftp site. I thought maybe there was a way for her to view them without downloading wich is inauthourized where she is at. Eventually she will get the laptop I sent here and she won't have to worry about the public computer polices at her hospital, but until then....

Comment

Working...
      X