Changing to XP from 98

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to XP from 98

Having read the excellent article by Daniel Petri I am getting ready to to do a clean installation of XP. I had a 20 Giga hard disk and then added a 80 Giga one. Currently everything is on the 20 Giga which is the master drive. I would appreciate advise as to the best way to install the XP. Should I put it on the 80 Giga disk or the 20. Is it necessary to make the 80 Giga the Master drive. The easist thing would be to keep everything as is on the 20 and install on the 80 keeping the 20 as the Master drive . Is this possible and will it create problems. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated . Regards
    Stan

Re: Changing to XP from 98

Stan,

It really depends on what you want to achieve in your setup.

You could install Windows XP on the 20GB drive, leaving the 80GB for pagefile and data.

If this is the case;

Set the 20GB drive to master (check back of drive for jumper config), and 80Gb as slave.

When you install XP it will by default create one *C* partition unless told otherwise.

Fom computer management, you can format and partition your second physical drive.

To move the page file; Start > Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advance (again!) > Virtual Memory.

Comment

Dear Stan,

It really depends on your configuration, as Simon replied you. If you ask me what I prefer, I would answer check the compatibility first of your Windows 98 upgrade to XP, perform a back up of your 98 system state and for your data. Upgrade your windows 98 to XP and keep your 80 GB hard disk for data, programs files/ what ever. That way if your OS got corrupted your data is intact.

No need to mention you need to perform regular back up tasks.

Best regards,
      Mostafa
      Best regards,
      Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would put it on the 80GB HDD as it is quite likely that the 20GB drive is a 5,400rpm as opposed to the 80GB 7,200rpm. Faster drive better performance.

Also, I would NOT repeat NOT upgrade 98 to XP. Do a clean install on the 80GB and leave 98 on the 20GB until you know everything is working and the dat has been copied across.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          I would put it on the 80GB HDD as it is quite likely that the 20GB drive is a 5,400rpm as opposed to the 80GB 7,200rpm. Faster drive better performance.

Also, I would NOT repeat NOT upgrade 98 to XP. Do a clean install on the 80GB and leave 98 on the 20GB until you know everything is working and the dat has been copied across.
          Thanks very much for your reply. It was much appreciated If Install on the 80 GB can I keep the 20GB as the master or will I have to make the 80 the Master
          Regards

Stan

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply. It was much appreciated

Stan

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
            Stan,

It really depends on what you want to achieve in your setup.

You could install Windows XP on the 20GB drive, leaving the 80GB for pagefile and data.

If this is the case;

Set the 20GB drive to master (check back of drive for jumper config), and 80Gb as slave.

When you install XP it will by default create one *C* partition unless told otherwise.

Fom computer management, you can format and partition your second physical drive.

To move the page file; Start > Right Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advance (again!) > Virtual Memory.

Comment

Originally posted by bounceallback View Post
              If Install on the 80 GB can I keep the 20GB as the master or will I have to make the 80 the Master
              It shouldn't matter which is the master and which is the slave.

Thanks for the posts Stan.
              Let us know how it goes.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X