Slipstream question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipstream question

Hello: I am in the process of trying to grasp the slipstream process and have a question. I am not versed in the process yet so hope this question don't come across as too awfully dumb.

If I create a slipstreamed cd from my XP Pro disk and my SP2 disk, won't I need the XP Pro disk to justify or verify any future new installation from the resultant .iso file?

My concern comes into play when considering running out of activation times and, in a sense, making my Pro disk unusable.
    Thanks
    doon

Re: Slipstream question

Howdie.
    When you slipstream an Installation CD, you just replace original files inside the CABs with the new ones. Therefore, you are not supposed to have any problems with the new CD. More than that, the slipstreaming process is something Microsoft recommends.
    I can tell you I made a CD slipstreamed not only with SP2, but also with more than 150 updates available since SP2. I used a tool called nLite. It allowed me to prepare the CD as unattended install, insert drivers for specific model (it was an HP, don't insert drivers if you intend to use the disk for other models, you will get a lot of BSOD after the installation), choose which components to install and which not, choose how services will behave after the installation and so on. In other words, great tool, it will make you life easier.
    As a service to the community, I attach here the list of updates I had to slipstream.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sorinso; 9th November 2007, 21:09.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks Sorinso, we appreciate your Community Service. That deserves some Reputation points.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

WOW!! Thanks, dude!!
        These are my first ones

I hope the info helped...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          Howdie.
          When you slipstream an Installation CD, you just replace original files inside the CABs with the new ones. Therefore, you are not supposed to have any problems with the new CD. More than that, the slipstreaming process is something Microsoft recommends.
          I can tell you I made a CD slipstreamed not only with SP2, but also with more than 150 updates available since SP2. I used a tool called nLite. It allowed me to prepare the CD as unattended install, insert drivers for specific model (it was an HP, don't insert drivers if you intend to use the disk for other models, you will get a lot of BSOD after the installation), choose which components to install and which not, choose how services will behave after the installation and so on. In other words, great tool, it will make you life easier.
          As a service to the community, I attach here the list of updates I had to slipstream.

Good luck!
          Thank you for the input. That helps me with understanding the process a bit more than before.

The listing you sent along ... is that updates for any computer ... or just yours?

Also, how does one 'save' the updates? Every time I activate my update option, all that I can see is Microsoft downloading themselves ... to who knows where ... and then automatically installing it.
          Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jawhoot View Post
            Thank you for the input. That helps me with understanding the process a bit more than before.
            Cool, I am glad. Although, it is enough to start using the software, you will see it does the things alone

The listing you sent along ... is that updates for any computer ... or just yours?
            Well, good question. I really don't know. But why would that be only MY list? What is different? Anyway, this is what I had to update on my computers (not at home, but tens of computers at work).

Also, how does one 'save' the updates? Every time I activate my update option, all that I can see is Microsoft downloading themselves ... to who knows where ... and then automatically installing it.
            Thanks again
            You're right... But that does not mean there's no way to get the updates. Take the first update number, do a Google search with the string: "[UpdateNumer] site:microsoft.com" and you'll get the page that has the downloadable file. It's a bit tedious work to do this for all 150 updates, but it's only once.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Cool, I am glad. Although, it is enough to start using the software, you will see it does the things alone

Well, good question. I really don't know. But why would that be only MY list? What is different? Anyway, this is what I had to update on my computers (not at home, but tens of computers at work).

You're right... But that does not mean there's no way to get the updates. Take the first update number, do a Google search with the string: "[UpdateNumer] site:microsoft.com" and you'll get the page that has the downloadable file. It's a bit tedious work to do this for all 150 updates, but it's only once.

Good luck.

I guess the more appropriate way to ask my question would be were those in the list just Windows and IE Explore and Outlook Express updates.

When you do a general update search via Microsoft, they will also reflect driver updates and software updates as well; and those being on your machine another person may not need.
              Thanks

Comment

Oh, that...
                This list should contain all the Critical and part of the Optional updates. It does not contains Office.
                Given in consideration that this list is taken from one of my computers (I scanned the C:\Windows directory for LOG files) and was checked against our machines (with no updates left over ), it will be difficult for me to say it is the ultimate list. This list should be taken as a base start, not as absolute.
                The best thing you can do is to prepare a disk with the updates, burn it on a CDRW and do an installation. Afterwords, check the WindowsUpdate site. See if there's anything left. This is the way I completed my list.
                Last edited by sorinso; 22nd November 2006, 20:48.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Just this link, and it will give you step by step on the how to's of Slipstreaming.
                  And it will even show you how to burn your disc to be bootable with Nero, or Roxio.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

Happy Burning !!
                  "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by pclinc View Post
                    Just this link, and it will give you step by step on the how to's of Slipstreaming.
                    And it will even show you how to burn your disc to be bootable with Nero, or Roxio.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

Happy Burning !!
                    PC, long time no post, how you doing? Well I hope. Good to see you are still around. Hope we see a bit more of you!!
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by jawhoot View Post

Thanks again
                      Hi.
                      Found this, I think it answers your question: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattende...f33047d7218e0/

Good luck, dude.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                      X