Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent users from useing Firefox?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent users from useing Firefox?

How to prevent users from useing Firefox?
    OS systems: Windows XP all in AD. How can I block using firefox for users ? ( Users have "user" and "power user" rights. They have to use USB drivers.
    any ideas ?

Re: How to prevent users from useing Firefox?

Well if they need to be power users then I would look into Software Restrictions. You can specify certain programs or files that the users won't be able to run.
    HTH
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have to ask - why would you want to prevent users using a more secure, more standards compliant, faster, more resource-efficient browser?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        I have to ask - why would you want to prevent users using a more secure, more standards compliant, faster, more resource-efficient browser?
        Few reasons:
        1) As a SysAdmin customizing your users environment with GPOs, you might not be interested in software you cannot manage (and Firefox, and Mozilla in general, is one of those);
        2) I once thought too that Firefox will be as they say... The reality is different, though. There are security holes in Firefox too. And they released a version two days after the previous one, only because they had to patch the holes (if I remember right, it was 1.5 after 1.4);
        3) Read this article: http://listvine.com/2006/10/25/9-rea...to-firefox-20/ .
        Finally, we all should understand that there's no full-proof software, as long as it is written by people. And no computer is safe, in the moment you're connected to the Internet.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

Well I have to say that the only one of those issues from the article which I'm familiar with is the compatibility with add-ons. I've had none of the others.

Regarding Group Policy is it really "impossible" to manage Mozilla via group policy? Or it is simply too much administrative effort to develop a new GPO Template?

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

To tell you the truth, for me IS a big administrative overhead to start writing GPO templates for other products. So, if you have one handy for Firefox, I'll be much obliged...

TIA.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
            In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -
            «««««

Comment

Regarding Group Policy is it really "impossible" to manage Mozilla via group policy? Or it is simply too much administrative effort to develop a new GPO Template?

Forgive me if i am wrong but Firefox is managed and controlled outside of the registry. So i don't even see that as possible.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

We considered installing firefox but the way it is patched (i.e. new releases) is not easy to administer. At least IE patches are delivered in a nice easy, deployable fashion (through WSUS in our case).

Plus settings are not easy to manage centrally. They need to address this if they want to start eating away at Microsofts corporate IE users.
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I've always been of the impression that Firefox cant be managed by GPO but a quick google search finds these:

http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/fmfirefox.htm

MSI packages AND .adm files. The templates even set registry settings inside the Software\Policies section of the registry so no tatooing either!

Firefox still doesnt work with corporate intranets well enough to take over that market, thats why we will never move to Firefox........for now.

Comment

Dont get me wrong, i use firefox at home and we will be installing it network wide at some point. It will just need to have the administration aspect more polished.
                    Server 2000 MCP
                    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

totally agree

Comment

Also if you use ISA, firefox wont use the proxy server(as standard) and you cant set it to do so with GP. right pain in the backside. trust me ive tried even worse anyone can install firefox as it doesnt write to the registry

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X