Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"upgrade" from Win 2000 to XP Pro, with abnormal results.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "upgrade" from Win 2000 to XP Pro, with abnormal results.

I have this little problem that's been turning into a big one these past few days.
    I received a machine that had to be wiped & reloaded due to OS problems... I copied all necessary data and formatted the disk. after that i proceeded to try and load XP (original) and it just froze when the initial setup wanted to start. I bought a new HDD and tried again, to no avail, same story. Thus thinking it's the disc, i tested it on another computer and it worked fine-
    then i tested the: CD rom = fine
    HDD = fine
    motherboard = fine
    Everything works as it should, but if i boot the computer it starts normally right up to where Windows XP professional is supposed to start... just a dark screen.

Can any one please assist?

Re: "upgrade" from Win 2000 to XP Pro, with abnormal results.

Originally posted by draquen View Post
    after that i proceeded to try and load XP (original) and it just froze when the initial setup wanted to start.
    Are you talking about when it boot in to the GUI portion of the setup?

then i tested the: CD rom = fine
    How did you test the CD rom and CD rom drive? Did you test the memory?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I tested the CDRom by changing the one in the named box, with one of my own and it does the same, ie freezing as the setup wants to continue. cd disc i put in one of my test machines with a clean HDD and it booted and loaded the os fine. It freezes before going in the GUI portion...... it runs the setup in the blue screen and as it goes on to "starting the windows installation", it freezes. The memory is two by 256 DDR2, and it works fine...... This is something I really can't figure out.

Comment

it's seems that you are using the words CD rom and CD disc interchangeably, but in any case Jeremy is asking if you tested the actual CD and how?

Also do you have two monitor outputs on that machine, and once GUI starts it tries switching over. Maybe missing a video driver?

Burn a Memory Test CD from here too.
        Let us know
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
          it's seems that you are using the words CD rom and CD disc interchangeably, but in any case Jeremy is asking if you tested the actual CD and how?
          I think draquen is using "CD rom" meaning "CD drive". draquen, is that correct? If so then I think you've tested it adequately.

I agree with Lior_S. Might want to try another video card, test the memory, and find some diagnostics for your motherboard and test it as well.

If you've tested the CD by installing the OS on another computer then it has to be a hardware issue.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Does it boot in Safe Mode?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Draquen let me know in a PM (I don't know why) that it was resolved and it seems he has forgot to post here...
              Originally posted by draquen
              Thank you very much for all your replies.... it was the memory that was buggered. i will try to rectify my issues with powerfailures, please send my thanks to all that helped me.
              Regards
              Draquen.
              Just wanted to bring closer.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X